Highlighted

Hidden files?

New Here ,
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having an issue I hope someone could answer.

I have a project that needs fixing due to background files being too big. I converted the background files from bitmap to jpeg buy going to: right click edit with (program) and then properties, edit and select file. Then properties and update. This made files much smaller. Now the overall file size is larger than it was to begin with. It's like it's holding on to the old files. I did check "unused files" but there aren't any. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Hidden files?

New Here ,
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having an issue I hope someone could answer.

I have a project that needs fixing due to background files being too big. I converted the background files from bitmap to jpeg buy going to: right click edit with (program) and then properties, edit and select file. Then properties and update. This made files much smaller. Now the overall file size is larger than it was to begin with. It's like it's holding on to the old files. I did check "unused files" but there aren't any. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you confirm the version of your software and operating system?

Can you add screenshots to help us understand better the issue you are having?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10. Captivate 8.

I had 20 background files that were 5700 kB. After converting them to JPEG the files are 100-200kb. But the overall project is now 3000kb more than it was initially. It's like it's still holding on to old files. However I checked the unused file area and there are none that could be located. I'm unable to do screenshots, I hope that was a better description.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is an old version... For graphics - if my memory is correct -  it is much more important NOT to rescale the graphics in Captivate because that made them 'grow' in filesize. Did you rescale the graphics? 

JPEG is a bitmap format, I wonder what you converted from. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One by one, I would export each image in your library and load it into PhotoShop or your photo editing software of choice. Resize the image to be just what you need it to be. For example, if you need an image that is 300 x 100, then resize it in Photoshop to be just that size. Export it from Photoshop to your desktop and give it a new name. From the library in your Captivate project, import the images to replace the image that is presently in your library. Once finished, save your project, and you should find it much smaller in size. Also, the resulting elearning will be much smaller as well. Round tripping doesn't always get you a more modest size since Captivate tries to keep the original file. That's why changing the name of the file should help you out.

Paul Wilson, CTDP | https://captivateteacher.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
Captivate User Guide
New Group