• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hotfix for LMS reporting issues in Chrome 80

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We'd recently wrote a post about LMS reporting issues on Chrome 80.

We are pleased to announce that we have released a Hotfix that takes care of this issue.

To download and apply the Hotfix, see this document.

This Hotfix covers both the 2019 and 2017 releases of Captivate.

TOPICS
Advanced , Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Saurav!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome! Thank you Lieve!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone had success with this fix? It does not appear to have fixed the issue for us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Captivate output is only one part of the equation.  The other part belongs to the LMS itself and how that is coded.  Have you considered that perhaps your LMS might need updating as well?  Try loading your republished SCORM in SCORM Cloud LMS to see whether it works there.  If it does, then that would mean your own LMS has the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Captivate/LearnDash/TinCanny using xAPI, and the main effect seemed to be that Captivate exercises started reporting "Completed" rather than "Passed". If you install the Captivate hotfix and republish you can get this back to "Passed". Exercises that didn't have a quiz and only needed to be viewed didn't seem to report anything other than "Experienced", but you can get a "Completed" if you require only 90% completion rather than 100%. As I've only just become aware of this I've checked one client who has our Captivate content running on a Totara LMS using SCORM 1.2 and it's checked out OK. Now I just need to spend several days re-publishing my own direct-sale content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I ask what steps Adobe took to inform all their Captivate users that everything they've ever built for any client had a good chance of being broken and would need to be republished? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have changed the Chrome config and that works for now. Chrome will deprecate this and prevent config change for version 88. Edge is doing the same eventually.

When my learner closes the browser, it sends a final API request to the LMS.  Chrome now prevents this.  Is there a way I can send that final request BEFORE the browser is closed?  If yes, I would be extremely grateful if a detailed explanation could be provided.

Thank you so much!

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest that this problem can be alleviated to a large extent by making any small change to your design that will discourage the learner from simply closing the browser when they see that they have passed the module.

The way I do this (with modules that have a quiz) is to rename the button on the Quiz Results slide from Continue to something like Register Your Score.  This encourages the learner to click the button rather than just close the window. 

What many Captivate developers do not understand is that the learner's score is not transmitted to the LMS when they enter the Quiz Results slide but only ON LEAVING the Quiz Results slide.  So it is imperative that the learner does not simply close the module when they reach the Quiz Results.  I always have at least one slide beyond the Quiz Results slide and never require 100% of slides to be viewed as the Completion criteria.

To my knowledge, with these simple changes, even if the learner closes their browser AFTER leaving the Quiz Results slide the LMS would still have received a final JavaScript call that confirms the learner has completed the module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod,

I've followed you for quite some time and always appreciate your insight.

We we typically do is, after completing the quiz results, navigate to another page to provide directions on closing the browser window. So our developers have beem implenting this, and witness firsthand the lack of receiving completion credit during testing.

What I would love and am actively seeking is a way to send the final JavaScript command while still in the course (after quiz completion) with the browser window still open.  Would you or anyone know how I could do that?  

With appreciation,

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone explain how/when Captivate sends info to the LMS? Is it always at window close? We have started to lose progress and completions from lessons that have been working fine for years.

I explicitly call 

SCORM_CallLMSSetValue('cmi.core.lesson_status', 'completed');
SCORM_CallLMSCommit();

On the "On Enter" action of the last slide of my lessons. 

Shouldn't that trigger communication with the LMS? Or are these calls cached until the window is closed?

As for the progress tracking, I have the "Send Data on Every Slide" checked... yet progress is not being stored. 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Information is sent on Window close. This is what has caused so much problem with Chrome and Edge.

1. You can push information constantly for the LMS, which works but also creates a load on the server. 

Quiz->Advanced->Check Send Data on Every Slide

I have used this successfully, but it is not my go to solution

2. You can go to Quiz->Pass or Fail-> If Passing Grade: Action: Exit (and optionally) If Failing Grade: Action: Exit

When you click the submit button (I suggest you rename the button and explain) information is sent to the LMS and, most importantly, is retained in the learning history of the LMS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

We are facing the issue with Scorm 1.2 content. The LMS log gives the same error as in the document https://helpx.adobe.com/captivate/kb/unable-report-completion-status-lms.html

Is there a fix for SCORM content? 

Thanks,

Siva.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has already released a fix for this issue in xAPI output: https://helpx.adobe.com/captivate/kb/hotfix-lms-reporting-issue-chrome-80.html  But this fix is not for SCORM.

As the HELP page you linked mentioned, the fix really has to be implemented by the LMS, not just the Captivate module.  This was also recognised by the people at SCORM Cloud in a recent blog post they sent out.  

Many LMSs actually use SCORM drivers provided under license from Rustici Software (the makers of SCORM Cloud).  I suggest you start checking with your LMS about whether or not their product also uses Rustici drivers, and if so, when they intend implementing the fix Rustici has already made available. 

If the LMS does NOT use Rustici drivers but has coded their own drivers, then they should already be aware of this issue with Chrome and other browsers no longer using the beforeunload and unload page events and the LMS people should either have their own fix or at least be working on it.  They will probably do the usual thing and blame your content, but everyone working in any web-related industry now knows about this issue and knows that any software using these two page events is going to fail at some point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the HELP page you linked mentioned, the fix really has to be implemented by the LMS, not just the Captivate module.  This was also recognised by the people at SCORM Cloud in a recent blog post they sent out.  

The irony is the LMS company IMMEDIATELY placed blame solely on Chrome (and by default Edge).  While this problem came about due to changes in these browsers, the VERY LARGE LMS company should take a vested interested in working with the clients to find a long-term solution.

At this point, I'm using "send data on every slide" AND/OR changing the Pass Action to Exit.  I know "send data" got into a discussion of server load, but we seem to be fine.  "Pass Action to Exit" works equally well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm still battling with my LMS provider to give a fix as they have their own SCORM adapaters to run the courses. 

Does Adobe plan to release a fix for SCORM? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources