Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can anyone see my HTML file?

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everybody!

Before I write my question, I must say that I am not very familiar with adobe captivate yet. Therefore, my questions may be a bit silly for those who are already familiar with it.

I created a file and published as SWF and HTML5. The output is a folder containing several things, including:

- multiscreen.html;

-project_name.htm;

-project_name.swf;

-project_name.pdf;

-project_name_fs.htm;

-index.html;

-goodbye.html.

When I click on the multiscreen.html, it opens a blank page (in any browser). The files project_name.htm and project_name_fs.htm open a blank page with the option "Click here to open in full screen". When you click on it, a blank page appears and nothing happens (in any browser). The project_name.swf does not open at all on my computer. The project_name.pdf works fine, but it is required the flash player. The index.html opens, but it takes about 30 seconds to open (which I think is quite a lot). My first question is: the index.html is always the file that I need to open? Because, otherwise, what are those other files generated, as they do not function?

I need to share this file with other people. I've created a zip file, but I cannot attach it to an email, as it contains some file types that are not allowed. So I needed to share this via drive or another way. My second question is: is there an easier way to allow my colleagues or anybody else to visualize the output as HTML? Even though the PDF works fine and it is easy to send, I prefer the HTML version as it does not require the flash player installed.

In the future, I would like to upload this work in a web server. I am not a programmer, but I believe I do need the HTML code for that. My third question is: How can I upload an HTML output file from Adobe Captivate to an online web server, in order to make it available to the general public?

I would like to thanks in advance for any help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Do not publish both to SWF and HTML  anymore, but only to HTML.There are too much pronlems with the multiscreen.html launch, differences between output to SWF and HTML are growing.

To view the course, upload the published folder to the web server. Course can be launched from index.html file. You  can also embed in an iframe, or just provide the URL to people who want to see the course.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not publish both to SWF and HTML  anymore, but only to HTML.There are too much pronlems with the multiscreen.html launch, differences between output to SWF and HTML are growing.

To view the course, upload the published folder to the web server. Course can be launched from index.html file. You  can also embed in an iframe, or just provide the URL to people who want to see the course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply Lieve! I have now published solely with HTML5. The problem is: if anyone would like to see the content of this .html, this person needs (anyway) to download the entire folder (zip) where the index.html file is located. Isn't there a more practical way to do it? Because at this moment I am trying to send the zip folder to my supervisor, but it cannot be attached to the email (I think it contains some formats not accepted to be sent by email). I can still publish (I think) in a shared document, like Google Drive.

When you say that I need to upload the published folder to the web server, and/or embed it in an iframe, does it requires a lot of programming skills? Or is it reasonably doable for someone who is not a programmer? I searched online how to embed it in an iframe, but I did not understand it very well where to start.

I am sorry if my questions sound a bit too silly, and thanks a lot for the help (also in the other post )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't understand. Upload the file to a webserver (or if it is a SCO, to SCORM Cloud) and send the URL.

Example:  have a look at this example,  it is the URL to one of the projects I use during training:

http://www.lilybiri.com/published/DemoProjectEN/index.html

It is uploaded in this case to my domain, but same workflow can be done with any webserver.

To upload the folder I use FileZilla which is free. I just have to link to the server, right-click on the folder to be uploaded and choose 'Upload'. No programming skills needed at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ow, now I got it! The entire folder generated by the Captivate is, in fact, the HTML5 file. I thought I needed to 'extract' the HTML code in order to insert the project in a web server.

The folder will be as .zip. I can just upload it like this? Because here, to open the index.html I need first to extract everything from the zip form. I was wondering if it was the same when uploading to a web server.

A final question: a friend o mine tried to upload the folder in a free web host and he got an error message of cross-origin resource sharing. Do you think it is possible that I cannot upload my folder properly, even though the content is well displayed on my computer when I click on the index.html?

Thank you one more time Lieve!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When you write 'will be a zip', this can be due to two reasons:

1. You checked to option to zip in the Publish dialog
  2. You have created a SCORM file, by setting up reporting.

When I upload a folder to my domain (which can be considered as a webserver) I do NOT zip that folder for the same reason you mentioned. That if the zip is due to the first cause.

If you did create a SCORM ile (abbreviated often to SCO) by setting up reporting, you have automatically a zipped folder (including the files necessary for the reporting), but it is NOT possible to upload to a normal webserver, you need to upload to a LMS. You could use SCORM Cloud in this case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources