• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I create a button that can hide/show all text captions across all slides of a project?

Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am relatively new to Captivate.

I am creating an interactive software demo. I started with a blank project then added software simulation slides. I added buttons, text captions, and roll over captions to some of the slides so that the user can interact with the demo as they would the software. This demo is intended to be used for training purposes (hence why I included text captions to help guide them through and provide additional information) but we would also like to use this in presentations, and would therefore like to be able to hide all text captions and roll over captions within the project when necessary.

Is there a way to do this?

v. 11.0.1

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

As a first solution I would also have recommended CpExtra widget, not only for this workflow but for all the other extensions it brings into Captivate. You find the link in Rod's answer.

If this is impossible, here is a possible alernative which will take more time for sure, especially since you are a newbie:

• On all slides group the objects that have to be hidden, and give the group a name (makes it easier, but you could keep the generic name). You clearly use a non-responsive project since you a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no default way to do this in Captivate, but it is potentially achievable with the CpExtra HTML5 widget (assuming you are publishing to HTML5).

You can find out more information about using something called #syntax in the widget to trigger an action that hides all objects across an entire project based on a text string they all have in their Object Name.

@syntax | Infosemantics Pty Ltd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As a first solution I would also have recommended CpExtra widget, not only for this workflow but for all the other extensions it brings into Captivate. You find the link in Rod's answer.

If this is impossible, here is a possible alernative which will take more time for sure, especially since you are a newbie:

• On all slides group the objects that have to be hidden, and give the group a name (makes it easier, but you could keep the generic name). You clearly use a non-responsive project since you are talking about rollover captions.
  • Create a user variable (Boolean), with a value 0. The default setup will be with captions.  If the captions have to be hidden it will be toggled to 1.
  • Use the button 'Hide' to toggle the variable, or use the command 'Assign 1 to var'
  • Create a shared action, to be triggered by all the On Enter events for slides where you want to hide the captions:
       IF var is equal to 1        Hide Group

ELSE

Show Group

• In that shared action, you have only one parameter: Group (will have different names on slides)
  • Attach that shared action to the On Enter event of each slide, and define the parameter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources