• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I add video playback controls to a single slide that has a Youtube video on it

Participant ,
Oct 20, 2019 Oct 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Newbie kind of question.  I'm dropping a simple Youtube video onto a single slide followed by a couple content slides and a Quiz on 10 subsequent slides.  How do I get the video playback controls on just the video slide for the video and not the rest of the slides through the whole project?  Secondly, is there a way to simply add a text box with automatic scroll bar?
Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you would have inserted a screenshot,  it would have been easier. I suppose you are talking about the Captivate playbar, which allows to control inserted slide video (which is video synchronized with Captivate's timeline).

You can hide the playbar by executing the command 'Hide Playbar' with the On Enter event of the next slide. Be careful: if you do not have that playbarin overlay, on the slides where you hide it, a grey bottom border will appear with the width corresponsing to the height of the used playbar.

For the second question: use the Scrolling Text Interaction instead of a shape or a text caption. At least if that is what you mean by 'text box'. If on the contrary you are talking about a Text Entry Box, you can use the Scrolling Text Interaction as well or check th eoption 'Add Scrollbar' in its Properties panel, Actions tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did a Media --> Slide Video --> YouTube --> URL pulling in a video.  I just want to put a set of play controls on that video slide (I will have 8 such video slide).  I don't want it to coordinate with the rest of the Captivate project I just want the controls to control the play/pause, close caption, scrub play bar, etc. video on that slide without giving the user the ability to scrub through the whole project only the video on that slide (like the controls on the bottom of a single Youtube video).  
There are 8 such video lecture slides followed by a graded quiz for each with 8-10 questions each.  

That raises a second question:  my graded quizes when I do them following one video slide the numbers keep increasing rather than just saying "Questions 1 of 8"  then going to a video slide and adding the next quiz it starts with saying there are 17 questions rather than just doing the 1-9 for that set of quiz questions.  How do I separate the graded quiz question sets? 
Thanks again. 

00000_Video_Playbar_for_SingleSlide.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Need to see the Timeline, please....

OK, see that it is a responsive project.... is the video in a Fluid Box or not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the answer that only one graded quiz per project (that should be added to Feature Request to have multiple graded quizzes per project)-- Mastering Adobe Captivate 2017 p. 287.  Guess I can use pretest quiz format to get right/wrong response for each question and I don't really need a whole project grade with each video slide.  

00000_Video_Playbar_for_SingleSlideWithTimeLine.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a slide video, which has two consequences:

• It is syncrhonized with the Captivate timeline, and you have to use the playbar to control the video.
  • It CANNOT be in a flud box which allowe only event video. You have to set up the Position Properties, and that means you have more lmitations for playing on mobile devices.

You can have only one Quiz Result to be transferred to a LMS, that is what you read in that book. This is not due to Captivate but to the SCORM rules. If you want multiple quiz results,  you need multiple courses. If you are fine with one result, you can keep it in one course. Do you use a LMS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a blank slide and then try pulling in a Youtube video as an event video so I can add a single slide playback controls bar but the event video won't let me pull in a Youtube video.  How do I pull in a Youtube video with playback controls for just that slide?  Is it possible?  That whole project playback bar isn't what I want.  Just the controls for a single video (play/pause, CC etc.).  How do I do that?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of inserting the YouTube video, yuo can just use a web object and link to t URL. By inserting it as video, it has been converted to an interactive video (hence the Bookmark and Overlay layers), and that needs to be synchronized with CP's timeline. You can use the Skin editor to take out some controls from the playbar, but that is the one you need to use. But you cannot have it in a Fluid box. Did you check the looks in another resolution?

Do you really need a responsive project. It looks like you are very new to Captivate, and by trying to do this in a responsive project you have a lot more to care for than with a non-responsive project which you can also publish as rescalabel HTML.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to Captivate (but used Toolbook, Storyline and early versions of Captivate many years ago).  
What is the benefit of rescalable HTML over responsive?  Responsive to me means it can be used on 
Laptops, tablets and phones.  Will rescalable also have the flexibility?  I'm wonder if I need to design two 
formats one for phones and one for tablets/laptops?  What do you think?  Sell me on the rescalable--will that let me add a normal playbar to a Youtube video or because I'm pulling it in as a Web object do the Youtube play controls come in automatically?  Sorry for so many questions... just trying to learn this platform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read this blog post I wrote a couple of years ago:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/fluid-boxes-or-breakpoint-views

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried using a web object to pull a youtube video in.  It started playing automatically and ironically
the play controls (play/pause, CC, etc.) did not come over into the web object.  This should be so
simple:  how do I pull in my Youtube video with a playbar that is good for just that little video without
having a scrub slide bar for the whole project?  I think I must be missing something as I'm sure it's done
all the time and must be simple.  I don't want that whole project playbar.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the article.  I think I like Breakpionts approach better because I have more control
and don't have to worry about what will or will not work in fluid-boxes.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still puzzled on the text box with scroll bar.  Caption text is clear.  Text entry box is clear for student answers and input.  What I need is a textbox for 5 paragraphs of text that I can copy and paste in from MS Word and shoot it into a textbox which will automatically display a scroll bar to present longer content to students.  Where do I find that object to drop in to a slide?  
Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scrolling Text interaction can be insertedn from the big button 'Interactions/Learning Interactions'. 

Avoid copy/paste from Word, please. MS is known for its bad style formatting. You need un formatted text to paste into Captivate, because that is a style-based application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Perfect on the scrolling bar with textbox.  Got it.  Easy.  Okay. 
Looks like on the video I can do the play bar skin customization and get some results.  
Still working on that.  Thanks for all your help.  Sorry for so many "dumb" questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources