• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I report a score to my LMS without a "Results" slide?

Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a course that doesn't have any questions or a results slide, but requires the learner to acknowledge a statement at the end of the course by selecting a button.  In addition to the "I Acknowledge" button, there is also an "I CANNOT Acknowledge" button.  Each button is setup so that it is included in the quiz reporting (a 2 if the statement is acknowledged, a 1 if it is not).  The idea behind all of this was that we could run a report from our LMS and use the score to see who acknowledged the statement (score of 2) and who could not (score of 1).

The problem is that some people are selecting both buttons and are scoring a 3.  So, I need to revise the course so that it is only possible to report either a 2 or a 1.

The easy way would be to set it up so that when the learner selected one button it disabled the other.  But, there are potential consequences for selecting either answer so I want to give the learner the ability to change their mind or fix it if they accidently select the wrong button.  The couple of possible options I've found online all seem far too complicated (e.g., disabling the quiz reporting option and wrapping the course in SCORM manually).  I would think that there's a simple JavaScript that I could use to send a score to the LMS, but I can't find it and I'm not that JS savy.  If I can't find something I'll go with the "disable" option.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

v/r

Jay

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not use a default True/False question? You can edit the wording 'True, False' and edit the feedback messages as well so that it doesn't look that the learner failed. Set True as correct answer, give a score to the question and hide the Results slide. Once they clicked 'Submit' navigate beyond the hidden score slide (it is important to do so, because that will transfer the score to the LMS). 

You can refine the disable situation by asking for a confirmation to allow changing the option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri,

The way I put the course together won't allow me to use a question/result slide.  To minimize the overall size of the course, I used states for the text boxes and show/hide for the buttons.  At this point I'd have to do extensive revisions to use a question slide, so I'd just go with the "disable button" route.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some clarification.  The "I cannot acknowledge" button wasn't originally supposed to be in the course.  Originally, the idea was that if someone could not acknowledge the statements they would close the course and go speak with their supervisor.  But, during the final review, the course owner wanted learners to be able to complete the course without having to acknowledge the statement.  Since the course had already been built, my options were limited as to what I could do to accomodate them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very strange....  What has a default quiz slide to do with minimizing file size?  It will barely add to the file size nd is probably the easiest solution which is functional on any LMS.

You can use a learning interaction as well: dropdown or radiobuttons. They can have an associated variable to store the choice. However, whether you have access to that user variable depends on the LMS. But in that case you need to show one out of two buttons based on the variable value from the interaction: one with a score, one without a score. That will for sure be increasing the file size lot more than a simple T/F slide. You already have a results slide (even though it is not visible, since you have already a score. 

It must be me not understanding your reasoning, sorry for that. I always try to offer the easiest solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not the default question slide that would add size.

To keep the file size lower, instead of presenting information for a single topic on 6-8 slides, I have 6-8 buttons on one slide that change a text box to one of 6-8 different states.  They also show/hide buttons and/or images as appropriate.  In the end, instead of having a slide deck that's 50-60 slides, doing it this way keeps the deck down to 8-9 slides.  I don't know how necessary that is, but it was another way of building the course.  

The problem in this case is that the "acknowledge" text/buttons are essentially in the middle of one slide.  So, I think I'd need to take that whole slide apart to add a default question slide.  I'll think about your suggestion and see if I can make it work, but if I have to take the slide apart it's probably not worth the effort and I'll just disable the other button once the learner makes a selection.

As always, I appreciate your help!

Jay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's not mandatory to have a Quiz Results slide visible in the project in order to report scoring from a quiz question to the LMS.  If you have a quiz in Captivate (or even any scored objects such as buttons reporting) then you will have a Quiz Results slide in the project by default, even if it is set to be Hidden so that it does not appear at runtime.

Lilybiri's idea is by far the simplest solution to what you need.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources