• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you recover a project from Cache files in CP8

Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2014 Jun 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I asked earlier about why there are so many cache files that open when you open a project.  In previous versions there was only one for each time you opend a project now there are 7 cache files that appear in the folder when you open a new porject.  How do you recover a project from the cache files in CP8?  I tried a process that Rod Ward had written for earlier versions of CP8 but it didn't work.

Any help would be appreciated.

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 11, 2014 Jun 11, 2014

Hello,

Welcome to Adobe Forums

Under your "My Documents" folder you will see "Adobe Captivate Cached Projects" folder

Under that folder, you will see Alpha-numeric names folder

Check the date modified

Open folder as per your observation

Navigate under "db" then you will see this :

Untitled.png

Select all, except "already_in_use.lock" and create a .zip file

Rename the extension from .zip to .cptx

Hope this helps !!

Thanks,

Vikram Gaur

Adobe Support

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 11, 2014 Jun 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Welcome to Adobe Forums

Under your "My Documents" folder you will see "Adobe Captivate Cached Projects" folder

Under that folder, you will see Alpha-numeric names folder

Check the date modified

Open folder as per your observation

Navigate under "db" then you will see this :

Untitled.png

Select all, except "already_in_use.lock" and create a .zip file

Rename the extension from .zip to .cptx

Hope this helps !!

Thanks,

Vikram Gaur

Adobe Support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vikram! you saved me! thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2014 Jul 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turns out when i passed these steps on to anothe user they didn't work for him.  Here is his response.

"I  opened the CP8 and all 8files have the same date and I checked 5 and none have the already_in_use file."

My big question is why are so many cache files made for just aone project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 15, 2014 Jul 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changes you made on your project with every Adobe Captivate 8 launch creates different folders under cache location

Thanks,

Vikram

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2014 Jul 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vikram,

Is this behaviour (creating different folders in the cache for each project file launch) the same as in previous Captivate versions or only since Cp8 came out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 11, 2014 Aug 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies for the dealy in reply, Possibly this is happening with CP8 (As per my experience)

Thanks,
Vikram

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2015 Jul 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have in cached folder my project folder but in the folder I do not have thumbnails files (2 of them). I have all of the above mentioned plus backup data folder. How do I restore my project? Cap 8 crashed in middle of working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope by what you said above that you DO NOT mean you have placed your project CPTX files inside the project cache folder.  Because if you DO that you will eventually lose all of your work when you next try to clear out your cache.

If your CPTX files are in a totally different folder then fine.

One reason I have noticed for Captivate 8 creating different folders for the same project inside the cache is that every time you call up the Preferences dialog it will spawn a new project folder version in the cache.  Personally I think this is probably a Captivate bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I havent touched anything in any folder. I was working and then Captivate

crashed. I try to open it again hoping it will give me recent, but nothing.

Then I found this forum post and went on to check cahed folder. I see that

my project is there, I see all the correct dates and hours meaning my

project is there, but I do not know how to open it from cached folder. And

in the folder cached ds I do not have these two files thumbnails, all the

rest is there. So, what is the point of cached folder and saved files when

captivate cant open them?

For this time my solution was work all night long and redue the project

from scrach but I wont do that forever so is there any solution? Or should

I just make mental note to click save every 10 minutes when working with

captivate?

Marina Matic

Univ. spec. maritime nautics

Consultant for development and education

Mob: 00385 99 2659109

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2015 Oct 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I am having a similar problem. After two days of work on my captivate project (and saving every 10-15 minutes) I tried to save my file today and it crashed during saving. Somehow I lost all my work that I had performed since yesterday at lunch time (so I estimate I lost about 10 hours of work), but did not lose the entire project.

Is there any way to recover the file I was working on? I have tried the steps listed above but they have not worked. I also called Adobe Support, they basically just told me to ensure I have backups enabled for future.

Using the Adobe AIR solution found online also did not help

I have cached files from the time my project crashed. Is there anything else I can do with this? I really need to get this fixed asap I have a deadline in work approaching.

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same issue today after finally updating to the latest version of 9. File which was saved before hitting update is reverting back to a version from yesterday, yet cache showing work from today.  Have attempted to zip / rename the db cached file but it appears corrupted and won't load.

File which was saved before hitting update is reverting back to a version from yesterday, yet cache files showing work from today. When opening db.cptx (which is a very small filesize considering the original project) it won't open, yet dummy recordings that I was working on will.

Frustrating as I've lost 4-6 hours work, not the end of the world to rebuild thankfully but provides me nightmares from working with 5.5/6 which used to undertake similar behaviours!  Also note that when I've opened the update, generate project backup has become unticked. Something for others to keep in mind before updating to new versions....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. This was a life saver! Worked for Mac OSX running Captivate 9 -- I just searched my drive for the folder and everything else was exactly the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My computer completely locked up while I was closing Captivate. By all appearances, Captivate had already closed when I initiated a hard reboot. When I tried accessing my project, Captivate wouldn't open it. I tried following the steps above, but all the files listed in the DB folder are listed as 0 KB. ALL of them.

I'm assuming I have to start from scratch, then? No ability to somehow fix the original 50+ K project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you have Backups turned on?  It sounds like you must have been working on quite a new project and perhaps had not opened and closed it a couple of times or saved frequently.

The cache (if there's anything there) usually only gives you back to the last major Save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it wasn't new. I had saved it without problem several times that day before the crash.

I don't know why there is only the cache timed roughly when I reopened the file, but I have nothing in the directory for the saves leading up to the crash. Everything is just gone. The master file is corrupted, the cache has nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried the above procedure to zip the files and change the extension to .cptx. When I try and open the file, I get the following message:

I don't think the file is already open (how could I find out?)

The file wasn't an email attachment

There is space on the hard disk

The system has sufficient resources, I've used Captivate many times on the same computer.

Can anyone advise on this?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may not have followed the correct procedure.  There is one particular file you must NOT include in the zip file.

Take a look at this article:

http://www.infosemantics.com.au/adobe-captivate-troubleshooting/recover-corrupt-project

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have backups enabled, so I tried to use the dcache.zip file. However, when I try to install the dcache.air i get the following error:

"The application could not be installed because the installer file is damaged. Try obtaining a new installer file from the application author."

Is there another version? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't seen any ongoing development of this tool from Adobe.  However, Dcache was mainly designed as a way to figure out which of the potentially hundreds of folders inside the Project Cache folder might actually be the project you wanted to resurrect.  You don't specifically need Dcache in order to recover the project once you know the folder.

So if you can narrow down which of the folders it might be (hopefully it's not one from months ago), it only usually takes a few moments to turn a cache folder back into a CPTX so that you can take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was desperately looking all morning for my updated .cptx file from last year. I must have saved an older version of my project in our repository. Then, a tiny miracle occurred. I looked on PAGE 2!! of the Google search and this procedure, clearly written and easy to follow was right there waiting for me. THANK YOU! I know I'm not the only one that would benefit from these instructions. How do we get them on Page 1 of the Google search??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources