• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you successfully host your eLearning simulations in 2018???

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi….I’ve reached a defining moment (I’m standing on a ledge ready to jump!).

I’ve successfully used Captivate since ver 4.  How to publish Captivate 2019 software simulations in SWF or HTML5 that will run off of SharePoint 2016 in Chrome. I’ve searched and tried everything.

Fails:

• Can’t get published HTML5 to launch from SharePoint 2016 in either IE or Chrome.  Have been working with SharePoint admin.
  • SWF launched from IE but everybody uses Chrome as default.  I don’t have control over our users’ browsers nor settings. So when users click on a link, it launches their default browser.
  • Need the interaction/simulation functionality.

How do you successfully host your eLearning simulations in 2018???

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use Sharepoint, but from the posts I have seen about it here on the forums it's quite common for users to experience issues with getting Captivate output to run unless the Sharepoint environment is set up to behave as a web server instead of a file server.

You need to forget about using SWF anyway due to all browser now moving away from it. So that's not an option.

But the problem with HTML5 is that it was never intended to be a solution for running on a LAN file server or similar environment.  Browser security usually stops things from working.  HTML5 is designed to work from a web server environment over HTTP or HTTPS protocols, not the TCP/IP protocols used for LAN.

Files stored in Sharepoint are usually accessed one at a time, not in groups with relative links between them (as is the case with a typical Captivate multimedia elearning module). That being said, I have seen people on this forum explain how their Sharepoint admins WERE able to set up a corner of Sharepoint in a way that it acted as if it were a web server and allowed Captivate content to run.  I don't have a link to that information that I can give you, but I encourage you to Google search for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod...thanks for your feedback. After more digging, my company is using SharePoint Online.  Unfortunately, it doesn't give local admins much access to configuration.  Any other ideas out there?  Or, does it look like Captivate isn't going to be the solution for me and my company.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue here isn't likely to be that you are using Captivate. It's going to be the same issue no matter what tool you use to create HTML5 e-learning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, aside from an LMS or SharePoint (not online version) which is configured correctly, any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need a web-server, not a file server. You could easily set up a hosting account and your own website to host them. Depending on how many people need to access this training, you could even set up a web-server on a spare computer inside your company's firewall.

I would recommend going to your IT department with your needs and they should be able to set you up. Note I said should, I have had many frustrating experiences with real-world IT departments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks to Rod and chrism45366180.  I spoke to Adobe and they instructed to have JSON MIME type added.  I spoke to our SharePoint  admins and they said SharePoint Online (which come automatically with Office 365) can't be configured for that.

So, I'm reaching out to different sources as I type this.  Thanks again for all of your feedback!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources