Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to advance a slide with video on it to the next slide in a CPT 2017 project

New Here ,
Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Working in Windows 10 Enterprise and Captivate 2017, I've added a video as Progressive Download on to one of the slides in a course.

My question is when the audio portion/video end is it possible to have the slide jump to the following slide or do the users have to manually click on the Exit button on the Playback bar to advance?

Thanks for reading this and for your help!

Regards,

Paul

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019

Oh no.... too many incompetent trainers. Click box is almost gone, since it is not supported by Fluid Boxes. Moreover, it is meant to pause the slide. Its pausing point is at the end of its timeline. You do have a pausing point, although you told not.

Please take out all those click boxes, Captivate is not a PPT, a presentation tool where each slide has to be paused at the end (and there are lot better ways if you really insist on that). Sorry for my answer full of frustrations but I hate it when

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Slide video is synchronized with Captivate. If you don't have any pausing point on the slide, the playhead will automatically continue to the next slide at the end of the video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri,

Thank you. There is no pausing point on the slide, the video just comes to an end and the slide doesn't advance automatically to the next slide. I set up the properties on the video slide so that the action on Exit, will jump to slide and select the slide #. Though now I've changed that property and selected On Exit: Go to next slide to see if that resolves this.

Regards,

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, the set up as I described above in my reply still didn't make any difference and the video slide just stops without the slide advancing.

Regards,

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not at all a normal behavior. In a recent post, which I created as answer on a more complicated question with slide videos, you'll see that the transition is smooth at the end of each video to the next slide. Have a look:

Forced view - special use case - Captivate blog

There is a link and an embedded example.

The On Exit event is not very trustworthy, I use it very sparingly . Adding a commend 'Go to Next Slide' makes no sense. Can you post the Properties of the video?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I viewed your example and see what you're saying. Nice work!

It's a Progressive Download mp4 video that is inserted on one slide. As for properties, this is from the video name (does this help?): 1080p-990019ba-5993-4480-93db-9160c96527f7.mp4

Regards,

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm.... can you re-encode that video with the Adobe Media Encoder (packaged with Captivate) and rename it? Wonder if it has a automatic pause at the end.

You are sure the master slide has no interactive object (shape button) pausing the slide at he end,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure how to re-encode a video that was created in Vyond (if that matters?).

There is a click box on the slide that runs the rest of the slide. I was trained to include one on each slide of a CPT project. It's minimized and sits in the upper left corner. Could that be interfering?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh no.... too many incompetent trainers. Click box is almost gone, since it is not supported by Fluid Boxes. Moreover, it is meant to pause the slide. Its pausing point is at the end of its timeline. You do have a pausing point, although you told not.

Please take out all those click boxes, Captivate is not a PPT, a presentation tool where each slide has to be paused at the end (and there are lot better ways if you really insist on that). Sorry for my answer full of frustrations but I hate it when I hear ' I was trained to....' and then a stupid workflow.

It is that click box which is causing the pause at the end. Delete it and if I could, would dim the Click box totally

As for re-encoding: you have to open the Adobe Media Encoder, drag the video file to the window top right. Normally the output codec will be indicated automatically (H264) and you just have to click to get the encoding started. But you'll not need it here, delete that click box.

When you have time, you could read this post:

Pausing Captivate's Timeline - Captivate blog

Have much more articles about timeline, but this is the most important.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It worked! Thanks so much for your assistance and tips, Lilybiri! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources