• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to keep text 'selectable' in projects published as HTML5 and PDF?

New Here ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone!

I am working on a project for some time already. Today I showed the first version to my supervisors. Among other things, they complained that it was not possible to select the text on neither the published PDF nor the HTML5 files. The presentation consists of several fact sheets and it would be helpful if the person who is reading it, can also select part of the text. I wrote the text as text boxes in the Captivate file, but when I publish it, the program converts the text in a sort of image.

Does anybody know if it is possible to keep the text written in a text box as a text when the project is published?

Thanks in advance!

Erica

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version are you using? I hope yourelaize that pdf is Flash-based? It is for sure a non-responsive project or you wouldn't have been able tto publlish to PDF. I even wonder if you did publish to HTML5?

Test in a Scrolling Text interaction is selectable if you uncheck 'Read only'. I don't know what you mean by 'text box'? Is that a Text Entry Box, a Shape or a Text Captivon.

I

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri,

I have created a project, in which I have an initial mind map with several options. Each option can be clicked and then you are redirected to a fact sheet with a large text about that option. This text I wrote in Captivate as a real text, but when I publish it, it become a image. I want this text to be able to be selected and copied if someone wants to. Just like I can copy your answer above and paste somewhere else. I would like to know if it is possible to avoid this conversion from a text to a image when I publish my captivate file. I am using the version 9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't answer my questions at all. I suspect you publish o SWF. Since  ou don't like my suggestion fro scrolling text interaction, and I don't still know what you mean by 'text box'? 

For SWF output and IF you are talking about text captions or shapes used as text containers, you need to insert a variable to convert those text containers to dynamic text which will be generated on runtime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri,

I read your questions one more time, but I believe I did not understand it very well. I will try to explain it in a different way (I believe I did not use the correct words also).

I started a blank document and I added a text caption on it to write a text of about 200 words. I simply saved it and published it as SWF and HTML5. Once I open this published file (either in the index.html or the .pdf), I see this text that I wrote as an image, which I cannot select and copy (as I can do with our previous comments in this website), for example. In this sense, it seems that captivate converts my text into an image in the published file. What I would like to know if there is a way of avoiding this sort of conversion.

My apologies for explaining it in a sort of confusing way and not answering the questions properly.

Thanks in advance Lilybiri!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know which version you are using, but it strongly recommended not  to publish with one setup to both SWF and HTML5 as you do.

I gave you the solution in my previous answer: for a non-responsive project you need to convert the text in text captions to dynamic text. That can be done by inserting a user variable, where you can leave the value empty. That way the text will be generated on runtime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Omg, while I was trying to the changes you suggested, adobe captivate stopped working. I closed the window, and now it simply does not open anymore! I am desperate here, it never happened before. I tried to open it several times, but I only get this response back:

Do you know what should I do? I know it has nothing to do with the topic of my question, but I am quite desperate here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see on the webpage of Adobe the following:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Recreate preferences

Delete Captivate preferences (Windows)

• Navigate to the folder where Captivate is installed on your computer

Note: On Windows, the default location is typically C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Captivate 9 x64.

• Open the “Utils” folder.
  • Double-click “CleanPreferencesWin.bat”

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

However, I am afraid that, by doing this, I will delete any project or part of project that I have made so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at this post which explains what can be deleted as customised items whe, cleaning the Preferences:

Captivate 8.0.1 Install? Keep your Customisation! - Captivate blog

No projects will be damaged at all. Beware: you need administrator rights to run that file.

I would try to clear the cache as well, but after you have opened the file you are working on. That can be done using a button in Preferences, General settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri,

I tried to recreate the preferences by double clicking on CleanPreferencesWin.bat. However, when I do that, a black screen pops up for about 1 sec and goes away without the possibility of doing anything. I believe that something is wrong, but I do not know what it is. Do you have any suggestion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a batch file, which has to run in a DOS window, which is what you did see. I have a long history with PC's, and even know DOS.

What has happened is that ta fresh folder was created with the default Preferences. Can you start Captivate now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri,

No, as I said, when I double clicked on CleanPreferencesWin.bat, a black window pops up extremely fast (I cannot even read what was on it). I did that several times. I still cannot open captivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, did you see my last answer? That '(black window' is the DOS window in which the batch was executed. It is indeed very fast, you don't have to do anything. Is Captivate starting now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I didn't understand in the first time. No, captivate is still not working. I am quite hopeless here. I need to finish this project this week and I could not imagine this happening now. I am also not the smartest person with computers. This is also the first task for my first job, which makes things more difficult and my stress increases more than it should. I am sorry for also creating the other post about it, but I was/am a bit desperate. I tried to recreate the preferences, as I said, but nothing happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you starting Captivate with 'Run as Administrator' setup? Use the right-click menu on the launch icon. If you are on Win10 , choose More... and you'll see 'Run as Administrator'. Did you restart your PC already?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This PC is from my company, I can only run as administrator tomorrow, as the ICT is already closed here. I just shut down my computer and restarted it. Captivate still does not work. Do you think is better to Uninstall and Install it again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you didin't have Administrator rights, how did you manage to run a file from 'utils' under the installation folder, because that would have needed administrator rights as well!

There is a manual way to reset the Preferences, which you can do without those rights:

• Go into your profile under Users
  • Look for this path (this is mine):   C:\Users\Lieve\AppData\Local\Adobe
  • Find the folder Captivate 11.0 (for CP2019) or 10.0 (CP2017), don't know which one you use
  • Delete that folder (it is the Preferences folder)
  • Try to restart Captivate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2019 Jan 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lieve,

My apologies for the delayed answer. I had to leave work and I didn't open my computer at home (I was a bit hopeless and not very motivated anymore). I tried to do what you said today, but I couldn't find the path (I am really not good with computers). So I decided to deleted the Adobe Captivate Cached Projects from yesterday. Before it crashed, the only thing I did was trying to save my project with another name, so I could work on this new version and if anything went wrong, I still would have the older version. Captivate crashed during the saving of this file, and generated some of this cached projects. I thought (have no clue why) that it worth to try and delete these cached projects. Surprisingly, it worked out and Captivate opened again.

But, good things do not least forever and again I am in trouble. Apparently, I cannot add images anymore. Or at least they do not show anymore. I tried to add an image both via media> image and selecting an image from my computer (which I did 1008382 times before and worked) and also via button > image button > select image. I think I will open a discussion topic in the forum for that, as I did not see a similar problem there. It can help others in the same situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You really need training, sorry to tell so but I did also see the other thread which was answerd by Rod Ward: it looks like you ignore the basics of Captivate (and PC use as well).

An Image button has nothing to do with an image on the slide at all. A button is an interactive object, aht image buttons are old style (never used them since 6 years). If you want to insert an image on a slide you have to use the Media big button. If you don't know the difference between an inon-interactive and an interactive object in Captivate, you are really missing the very basics.

I have tried to help you as I have done with many newbies, with pretty clear instructions. But we seem to talk in different languages. It is very possible that your project now is totally corrupted, or Captivate is corrupted. For the first situation you should create a new blank project with the same size and theme, and copy/paste slowly (not all at once) slides to that new project. For Captivate corruption you need to Clean the Preferences as I explained yesterday: easy way if you have Administrator rights with the batch file in utils, manual way where I showed the full path on a Win computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri, you are right. I need A LOT of training, and I really wish I have more time to explore it properly without a deadline so close. But I have this problem and I am doing my best to solve it (I need to). And I also appreciate your and others patient to help people like me, who needs so much training still.

Regarding the problem, I reset the preferences as you said, but it did not work. I decided to go to the ICT department of my company and it took me 1,5 hours there. The problem could not be fixed, only when we reinstalled the program. Now, I finally can continue working on the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Erica,

The main reason Captivate projects corrupt is that developers like yourself are unaware of the best ways to set up the application to run on their systems.  For example, new users will often store their CPTX project files on a corporate server (which is fine) but then navigate directly to that server folder location in Captivate to open the CPTX file and work on it.  This has for many years now been pointed out on this forum as a HUGE mistake because any small glitch in server networking traffic while working on the file can render it unusable.

Were you perhaps doing this?  Or did you follow the instruction to ONLY work on CPTX project files that had been saved to your computer hard drive before opening in Captivate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RodWard,

I believe that my problem is exactly what you said. The caches and projects are being stored in a network storage. I have, however, some questions about it.

1) My computer (C:) is inside my user address in this laptop. I am currently storing the caches and projects in W:. But it seems that if I changed to C:, this would be still in a sort of network folder, as this is within my server folder location. That makes me a bit confused.

2) If I change the preferences and allow the publishing and project cache in C:, would this impact my current project or the functioning of Captivate? My current project and the caches are in a folder within W:. I am afraid to change things now and, suddenly, it stop working again. I am since yesterday struggling to work on my project, as only a few minutes ago captivate started working again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your latest comment explains WHY you would be having issues with project file corruption.  Had you undertaken more formal training before embarking on this project, this might have been avoided.

Take a look at these posts to get some ideas about setting up your computer to work with Captivate:

Basic Captivate Troubleshooting Techniques | Infosemantics Pty Ltd

The C drive shown on a computer is almost always the hard drive of the computer itself.  You need to check with your IT department to verify if this is the case.  Ask them whether or not your User Profile is a "roaming profile" stored on a network server, or whether the User Profile is actually residing on your computer itself.  If it is stored on your PC, that's better.

But you will still need to set up a folder on your local hard drive in which to place all of your Captivate project CPTX files and ONLY work on them in Captivate from there.  Use Windows Explorer to move your project files to and from the network for backup purposes only, AFTER you have closed down Captivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will ask in the IT department whether my User Profile is a roaming profile stored on a network server, or whether the User Profile is residing on the computer itself. In case it is a roaming profile on a network server, should I still save on the C:? And once I change the default locations for the projects and caches to a local folder, do I also need to move the existing projects and caches to this folder? Won't this interfere at all with this files? And a final question: what is the purpose of the project caches? I see the option clear caches, but I am not sure whether/when I should use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is essential to work with files on your system, later on you can copy (or move) them to a networked drive. All files should be in those dedicated paths. If you have non-responsive projects, all Preview methods are using Flash output except F11. The paths on your system, which are the default folders, are automatically added to the Flash trusted sites.

The cached folders allow to open a file quicker in a next session, it would take a long time to regenerate everything. Moreover they are also a second backup possibility. I hope you turned on Backup in Preferences, General settings for the first backup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources