• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to keep text 'selectable' in projects published as HTML5 and PDF?

New Here ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone!

I am working on a project for some time already. Today I showed the first version to my supervisors. Among other things, they complained that it was not possible to select the text on neither the published PDF nor the HTML5 files. The presentation consists of several fact sheets and it would be helpful if the person who is reading it, can also select part of the text. I wrote the text as text boxes in the Captivate file, but when I publish it, the program converts the text in a sort of image.

Does anybody know if it is possible to keep the text written in a text box as a text when the project is published?

Thanks in advance!

Erica

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2019 Jan 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lieve, thank you for your answer. I will change the default locations to a folder in C: and turn on the Backup in preferences.

I was reading your message all the way on the top of this discussion (before the program crashed) and I would like to ask you something. You said that, to make the text dynamic, I should use an empty variable. I also saw this tip in other discussion topics to reduce the fuzzy of the text when publishing the project. As I said in another post, the text of my project has a bad quality after published, especially in HTML. I do not know, however, what would be this empty variable. Could you explain it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2019 Jan 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When inserting a variable, even if it never gets a value, text will be rendered as text on runtime.

Have a look at my most recent post, explaining how to create a user variable:

https://elearning.adobe.com/2019/01/user-variables-introduction/

In that post I mention a user variable v_null which would be perfect for this purpose, it is empty.

How to insert a variable is explained in a previous post, where you can also download a free table with all system variables:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/discover-slash-use-captivates-system-variables-part-1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2019 Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri, thank you for your reply and the links you provided. I have, however, some questions.

1) As you said in one of your posts, the v_null cannot have a value ascribe to it. I would like to confirm if this is correct (see pic below):

2) My second question is: do I need to insert this variable in the end of every single text caption that I have in my presentation? Including those text captions inside shapes? By reading your posts, I see that you use the button indicated in the figure below. Can I also just write the variable within "$$variable_name$$"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2019 Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Lilybiri, I added the v_null variable as an empty variable in the end of the text captions. Overall, the text looks much more clear now, but still not 'selectable'. But a big problem happened: parts of the text were cut off, and I lost formatting.

In the figure above, the left side is before I adding the variable, and the right, after. Do you know what I may be doing wrong? 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources