Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to prevent video from Pausing?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2016 Sep 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have several multi slide synchronized videos, each play on 1 slide. Throughout, the video will randomly pause, and you have to click the Play button in the Captivate skin to resume. How do I prevent it from pausing randomly? I want the video only to pause if the user clicks the pause button.

Also, some videos play automatically when you enter the slide, while for others you have to click the Play button first. I want to have them start ONLY when you click Play.

I am using Captivate 9

Thanks - would appreciate any help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 19, 2016 Sep 19, 2016

I have no answer to your first question, it will be a buffering problem.

For your second question: since multislide video is controlled by Captivate, you can use the command Pause attached to the On Enter event for the slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2016 Sep 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no answer to your first question, it will be a buffering problem.

For your second question: since multislide video is controlled by Captivate, you can use the command Pause attached to the On Enter event for the slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2017 Oct 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I have exactly the same problem, and it's nothing to do with buffering. some of my multi slide synchronised videos pause after EXACTLY one second every time and you have to press play to resume. 

Other videos do not present the same issue. 

Does anyone know how to prevent this 'auto pause' as I'm calling it?

Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 17, 2017 Oct 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are seeing this pause issue when delivering the video via the web, it could certainly be a buffering issue.

Any reason you're sure it's not?

If you run the piece locally, or more ideally from an internal webserver (where bandwidth is likely a non-issue), do you still see the pause?

If you do, then there is likely something on your timeline causing the pause. Does it pause, then continue on its own?

Or do you have to click something to get it to play again?

As a test, make a copy of your project, cut out several of the later slides. On the remaining slides, cut the timeline in half (deleting many of the video frames). Publish and test. Same issue? If so, less likely a bandwidth/buffer problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Erik, Thanks for your reply.

I'm running the videos from an internal server (shared drive) at the moment and I still see the pause.

When the videos pause, I need to click play on the playbar to continue the video. Clicking on the video skips to the next slide.

I tried the test and I am still experiencing the same issue.

Then I tried deleting one of the videos from Captivate, moving it from the shared drive to my computer, and re-loading it into Captivate and still the video paused. 

I've compared the settings for both the video and the slide to one of the slides with a video that doesn't pause and I can't find any differences at all. 

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I've figured it out. 

On slides with videos that paused after one second, the problem was nothing to do with the video object itself. It was actually to do with other objects on the same slide.

Other objects on the timeline were set to pause after 1.5 seconds. After unticking the box, the video did not pause.

Thanks again for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please read my blog post about Puasing the Timeline, maybe you'll understand better what happened with your file, due to the pausing point (or multiple?) of an interactive object:

Pausing Captivate's Timeline - Captivate blog

Understanding Timeline is the first skill to acquire by any Capitvate user:

Challenges for Starters - Captivate blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I realize this conversation is 3 years old however I thought I'd jump in - just in case my reply would be seen.  I am having the same exact problem described by Rose.  I followed the conversation and read your blog too.  I got a bit overwhelmed.  I do understand that my video is not defective or the source of the issue and there is likely a pause in the slide timeline that I cannot find.  But I'm stuck on finding it! There is not much going on in the slide other than shapes, texts, photos and simple buttons.  Any further support would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks in advance!

Jess

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be looking at the buttons on your slide.  If you to not want pausing, turn off the pause behaviour on the buttons or any Smart Shape buttons.  Be aware that not all objects capable of pausing the video will show a pause point on the timeline.  Some learning interactions also do this.  Drag and drop slides also have a default pause point that does not appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Jess, if you are referring to ;the blog 'Pausing the Timeline' it is only one out of a series of multiple blogs. Maybe you should need to read the other ones as well. Suggestion;: include a screenshot of your timeline (complete vertically and horizontally please) ion your comment. Maybe we can find the culprit and explain based on your timeline. If you used buttons and kept their default setting they will probably pause the timeline after 1.5secs after their appearance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The more items on the timeline, the more likely such issues occur and the harder it is to find the item causing interference.

Good troubleshooting! Glad you figured it out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources