Highlighted

How To Question: Click For A Pop-Up Problem

Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe Captivate Community!
I am a fairly new user, and I have what I hope is an easy Captivate production question.

I need to be able to click on a shape in a non-responsive project and have a "pop-up" appear on screen.

To illustrate my problem, I'll describe it briefly (since apprantly I can't upload screen captures)

Picture a long horizontal rectangle that is a "yearly timeline" stretching horizontally from January to December. The timeline is divided in to four sections, one for each 'quarter' of the year. Each quarter has its own color. I want to be able to click on one of the four 'quarters' and have a pop-up window that shows a clipboard with a piece of paper, a couple generic icons and some type - a 'mini' graphic composition if you will. This graphic would 'pop-up' so the viewer could read it and then close it. I want one 'pop-up' for each of the four 'quarters' on this calendar timeline.

This is HTML5, So we're not talking about a rollover slidelet. This is not a responsive project, just a normal one with a fixed size. I could likely make this work as an image state, but I've already got the 'clipboard' composition done, and when creating a new image state, Captivate won't let me 'paste' the 'copied' clipboard group of objects in to the image state. I could re-compose the clipboard group of items while in the image state, but I'm hoping there is an easier way to go about this.

I'm using the latest 2019 version of Cpativate on a PC running Windows 10, 64-bit.
Thanks for any help!

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Lilybiri | Most Valuable Participant

Use 4 rectangular shapes or colored SVGs for the quarter graphics and convert them to buttons.

I would go with a multistate object (have created two blog posts in the eLearning community comparing Show/Hide and multistate approach but for some reasons they have disappeared from my list, cannot find them). You seem to suppose that a state can have only one object, but that is not true at all, you can have multiple objects. The Close button could be a hyperlink text, but has to be outside of the states, you cannot have an interactive object in a state. Use a blank state for the Normal state.

The old way with Show/hide has been described by Stagprime. The disadvantage of that approach is that you have to hide the previous popup and then show the next one. With the Change State approach that is not necessary at all.  Moreover if you return to the slide you would also have to hide any popup that could have been left, which is not necessary with the multistate approach is you use a blank state for normal and keep Retain state unchecked.

Maybe I will recreate both deleted posts, one was for non-responsive, the second for a fluid boxes project.

As for the close button, have a look at:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/more-is-in-a-dot-dot-dot-hyperlink-close-button

TOPICS
Advanced, Advanced actions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How To Question: Click For A Pop-Up Problem

Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe Captivate Community!
I am a fairly new user, and I have what I hope is an easy Captivate production question.

I need to be able to click on a shape in a non-responsive project and have a "pop-up" appear on screen.

To illustrate my problem, I'll describe it briefly (since apprantly I can't upload screen captures)

Picture a long horizontal rectangle that is a "yearly timeline" stretching horizontally from January to December. The timeline is divided in to four sections, one for each 'quarter' of the year. Each quarter has its own color. I want to be able to click on one of the four 'quarters' and have a pop-up window that shows a clipboard with a piece of paper, a couple generic icons and some type - a 'mini' graphic composition if you will. This graphic would 'pop-up' so the viewer could read it and then close it. I want one 'pop-up' for each of the four 'quarters' on this calendar timeline.

This is HTML5, So we're not talking about a rollover slidelet. This is not a responsive project, just a normal one with a fixed size. I could likely make this work as an image state, but I've already got the 'clipboard' composition done, and when creating a new image state, Captivate won't let me 'paste' the 'copied' clipboard group of objects in to the image state. I could re-compose the clipboard group of items while in the image state, but I'm hoping there is an easier way to go about this.

I'm using the latest 2019 version of Cpativate on a PC running Windows 10, 64-bit.
Thanks for any help!

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Lilybiri | Most Valuable Participant

Use 4 rectangular shapes or colored SVGs for the quarter graphics and convert them to buttons.

I would go with a multistate object (have created two blog posts in the eLearning community comparing Show/Hide and multistate approach but for some reasons they have disappeared from my list, cannot find them). You seem to suppose that a state can have only one object, but that is not true at all, you can have multiple objects. The Close button could be a hyperlink text, but has to be outside of the states, you cannot have an interactive object in a state. Use a blank state for the Normal state.

The old way with Show/hide has been described by Stagprime. The disadvantage of that approach is that you have to hide the previous popup and then show the next one. With the Change State approach that is not necessary at all.  Moreover if you return to the slide you would also have to hide any popup that could have been left, which is not necessary with the multistate approach is you use a blank state for normal and keep Retain state unchecked.

Maybe I will recreate both deleted posts, one was for non-responsive, the second for a fluid boxes project.

TOPICS
Advanced, Advanced actions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 13, 2019 0
Advocate ,
Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a number of ways to go about this so I will try to address it the way you have presented it.

Are the timeline sections separate objects? If so, we can turn those into buttons. An alternative, if it is a single obect might be to place four click boxes over the portions of the timeline but don't let them overlap.

The buttons or click boxes then would call an action to show your box and another button to close the box. In addition, I would have each timeline section hide all other boxes in the event that they are open when another timeline segment is clicked.

The button to close the box would hide the box and the button itself.

Yes, you could do states where each pop-up is a state of the same object. The timeline buttons would then simply change states and whatever is currently visible would be taken care of with the state change.

Hopefully that gives some idea of how to move forward.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 13, 2019 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! I'll pursue the multi-state object approach - still wish i could copy and past in to one of those states, but I don't think that is possible. Will check out the links also, thanks again!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2019 0
Lilybiri LATEST
Most Valuable Participant ,
Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For images: import all necessary images to the Library and you can use the Library in states. For text: I put a txt file in the scratch area and copy/paste text which I need into the states. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2019 0