Highlighted

How to reset LMS bookmark when lesson is completed

Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My users want to be able to review the lesson content after completion but the LMS takes them to the last slide and then closes it.  This is because the last quiz interaction is set to close the lesson (the very last slide).  I need to figure out a way to reset the bookmark once they successfully complete the lesson.  Does anyone know some code I could add to the last interaction button to do this?  No navigation is possible in our courses per client request.

I know this has been asked before in earlier versions of Captivate and not really answered.  Using Captivate 10.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to reset LMS bookmark when lesson is completed

Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My users want to be able to review the lesson content after completion but the LMS takes them to the last slide and then closes it.  This is because the last quiz interaction is set to close the lesson (the very last slide).  I need to figure out a way to reset the bookmark once they successfully complete the lesson.  Does anyone know some code I could add to the last interaction button to do this?  No navigation is possible in our courses per client request.

I know this has been asked before in earlier versions of Captivate and not really answered.  Using Captivate 10.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 10, 2018 0
Engaged ,
Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen several posts here providing the required SCORM API calls and/or elaborate scripts that would reset LMS Bookmarking on course relaunch after having completed before; e.g.:

Re: Completed course does not reset to first slide on subsequent access

Multiple Attempts / Restarting Completed SCORM Courses in LMS

Since I could't really get anything of this to work, I devised a little advanced action that does the same for me. Note that this requires your LMS to be able to persist user variable values between sessions. Appartently, not all do. This is how it works:

Create a user variable 'v_lastSlideViewed'. Don't give it a default value!

Create an Advanced Action as shown below and assign it as 'OnEnter' action to the first and the last slide of your course:

Capture.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2018 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I just offer a suggestion? Convert this advanced action to a Shared action.  It doesn't need any parameters except Slide 1. THe advantage is that the variable v_lastSldieViewed will not have to be created. When dragging or importing the shared action to the Library of any new project it will be automatically created, with its description and the default value which remained empt. You have to indicate the parameter 'Slide 1' in that case.

Sorry, but I'm a big fan of Shared actions whenever they can save time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2018 1
Engaged ,
Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good call!

Thanks, Lilybiri.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2018 0
Lilybiri LATEST
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're weleome! Regret that Shared actions are not very well known, thye have a lot more power than expected. This was only one example.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2018 0