• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to restart current slide in captivate?

New Here ,
Aug 18, 2009 Aug 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I have a slide in captivate 4 that contains several boxes that display in the same location as the last when an 'ok' button is clicked (I use the timeline to fade in/out relevant captions). The client has asked that when you get to the final one, that a restart button shows that will reload the current slide, so you could read it again, should you have the (bizarre!) urge to.

Im sure the answer is glaring in the face but can find a relevant action for the button. Could somebody help please!!

Thanks in advance

Chris Maile

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User

Hi Chris,

Try this out to solve your issue:

say slide1 is the slide where-in you want a button that takes to the start of slide1.

1. Have a dummy slide(say slide D) just before slide 1.

2. Have a button on slide 1 which would have "jum to slide" action and would take the user to slide D.

3. Have " jump to slide" action on the OnSlideEnter os slide D and jump to slide 1.

Do let me know if this helped you resolve the issue.

Manish

http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

Try this out to solve your issue:

say slide1 is the slide where-in you want a button that takes to the start of slide1.

1. Have a dummy slide(say slide D) just before slide 1.

2. Have a button on slide 1 which would have "jum to slide" action and would take the user to slide D.

3. Have " jump to slide" action on the OnSlideEnter os slide D and jump to slide 1.

Do let me know if this helped you resolve the issue.

Manish

http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Manish,

Thanks very much, that worked a treat! I had to just have a very short (0.1 of a second) dummy slide that had nothing it. Then just setup the navigation either side to use 'jump to slide' instead of 'go to next slide/previous' slide method.

I can assure you that there cant be many people in the world who would want to read this stuff twice, but for the strange people that do, they now can!

Thanks again

Chris Maile

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, don't get me wrong... I don't mean to be hypercritical but, it just seems absurd to me that we need to use this kind of workarounds with Captivate, which is not cheap BTW. Would it be that hard to make it possible to reload a slide with its actions? I just can't even conceive yet that the Javascript windows don't have scroll bars, let alone syntax highlighting or code completion, which is not that hard to achieve either. I hope my comment will not be taken as pure criticism but as one more cry for improvement. I'm in need to use it because the company I'm working for already paid for it. Best regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.D. I know this is a very old post by the way. But it's still valid, as much as my comment, 10 years after this question was asked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not "so" hard! I also figured out a workaround that suits my needs by having a redirect slide that handles the variables that need to be reset. I was just browsing around to see if there was any "elegant" Captivate feature that I was missing, but it turns out there's none in December 2019. Wouldn't it just make sense to have a cpCmndReplaySlide function? Just like Chris, one of your commenters said: the solution is much more cludgy than elegant. This software has been marketed for years, and it still has no freaking simple scroll bars in the window meant to write Javascript code... are you kidding me? Come on... it would take seconds to add them. It would not be an added value function... it's related to a pretty basic feature of the software. These are things I will never admit from these big companies such as Adobe that would rather invest millions in marketing once they realize they have something "sellable" than investing a reasonable effort in delivering a good quality/price ratio product. Again, I need to use Captivate because I'm working for a company that already paid for it and I'm part of a team. Receiving reasonable criticism shouldn't be annoying or something to defend from, but a reason to strive to be better. Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, if you want Adobe to hear your ideas for improvements this user forum is the wrong place to make them.  You're "preaching to the choir" here.  We all want similar improvements for Captivate but the process to have any chance of seeing them happen is for ideas to be submitted via Adobe's bug/enhancement reporting form, not via a post buried at the bottom of some longish thread about a different issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can certainly confirm that I submitted numerous bug/enhancement reports through the proper channels for similar simple enhancements and outright UI coding bugs from a corporate account in a previous job years ago and nothing has changed in the most recent version. Captivate is quite possibly the biggest joke when it comes to clunky/unchanging design with a hefty price tag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources