• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to show and hide "Group" in Captivate 9?

New Here ,
Sep 28, 2016 Sep 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Single objects can be hidden using advanced actions but not groups. Is there any way to do this in captivate 9 ?

For Example:

Cp. show()

Cp. hide ()

This does not work for groups.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They will not work for groups, as there are no groups in the Captivate output, they are only in the IDE. If you use a Show in Captivate, it writes a show for each item in the group in the JavaScript.

You can name the group items if you name them specifically and the run a loop to find all items that fit a certain criteria. I also include a loop to reset all items on the slide to their initial visibility state.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your content is for HTML5 output, then the CpExtra HTML5 widget allows you to use @syntax or #syntax to HIDE or SHOW any object simply based on its Item Name.

More information here:

Captivate Action Extensions | Infosemantics Pty Ltd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It so looks like you guys from the community or maybe even Adobe themselves have a very profitable partnership with these CpExtra guys because as of Dec. 2019, I see that CpExtra has been your answer for years for many many requests for simple things that Captivate should have accomplished years ago.

For example, making cp.hide() and cp.show() work for groups wouldn't take more than a few hours or, say, a few days. Maybe, just code a for() loop that iterates the items in a group and executes cp.hide() or cp.show() on them. That would easily work for both SWF and HTML5 output. If I can do it with JS in my simulators while I drink a cup of coffee, why would Adobe take literally years to include it in their development plan, being that so useful? Come on!!!!! I just won't believe that nobody has requested it already in all these years. I cannot actually tell for sure but, it makes so much sense: why would you guys push Adobe to listen to these requests and kill your milking cow? I'm sorry but, you know what they say: think wrong and be right!
P.S.  Maybe I'm too harsh with you guys because I come from an open-source community in which the best for the most is the priority, not the best for a company's commercial plan. I keep using CP because I'm paid for it, not because of my experience with Adobe, it's documentation or it's community. Very very disappointing. I'm sorry guys.

Best regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.P.S. Just in case you guys come up with a picky "correction"... I'm talking about a case like: cp.hide("Group_of_items") in Javascript. I know that's possible from an Advanced Action

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Since you mention CpExtra, and my (one person) company Infosemantics Pty Ltd happens to be the originator of this widget, please allow me to enlighten you on a few points:

• We have no relationship at all with Adobe and they do not pay us for any of the work we have done to create CpExtra (or any of the SWF widgets we created in earlier years).
  • Neither do they pay me to answer questions every day on this forum.  Yes they give me a complimentary Creative Cloud license (as they do for all Community Professionals on their forums) in recognition of my providing unpaid help to their users and relieving them of having to teach any of their own employees to do the same.  However, on the hourly rate I charge my clients I would be better off ignoring this forum and paying for my own annual Creative Cloud license.  I spend far more hours on average every month here than it would cost to pay that subscription.
  • My son programmed CpExtra and all of our other widgets.  We put it up for sale from our website because it solved many problems that Adobe ignored even though users were crying out for solutions.  But CpExtra took hundreds of hours to create and debug the code. If we had put it up for free, we would not be able to afford to support it whenever people experienced issues or wanted extra features added.  It's a complex piece of kit with dozens of functions.  Take a look at the HELP files if you doubt it: http://www.infosemantics.com.au/adobe-captivate-widgets/cpextra/help
  • The fact is that CpExtra is NOT profitable at all for Infosemantics.  Weeks often go by without seeing any sale at all.  The e-learning community does NOT generally feel they should have to pay for widgets, even extremely complex ones like CpExtra.  Even if I lived in the cheapest country in the world I doubt I would be able to live on the annual revenue from CpExtra and still feed my family.
  • If you are able to program all of these features for yourself in JavaScript, go for it.  But that skillset is not a common thing for everyone using Adobe Captivate.  That's why CpExtra exists at all.  But the only reason we are leaving it up for sale at this time is that many people still express appreciation for having the ability to use it to solve problems easily.  It's certainly NOT there because we are making a fortune from some "profitable partnership with Adobe".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2018 Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"....I also include a loop to reset all items on the slide to their initial visibility state." Can u show me how u did it. I already named all things popUpxyz. So ur Code would be perfect fitting. Greetings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just trying to clarify this question - you are talking about calling show / hide from Javascript in this case, not from Advanced Actions within Captivate, yes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do this all the time with Shared Actions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show/hide groups is possible with advanced and shared actions, apparently

not with JS. Enable/disable a group of buttons or other interactive objects

is not possible with shared/advanced actions. For that goal I am using the

@ syntax of that amazing CpExtra widget by InfoSemantics. In my opinion that

widget is indispensable for most developers for HTML output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources