Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

html output from Captivate on Mac not opening on PC

New Here ,
May 01, 2019 May 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm using the latest version of Captivate for Mac. I tried publishing as html to send my work to colleagues for review. Those who have Macs can open the files, those with PCs cannot. Is there anything I can do about this? Haven't been able to find a solution online.

Any advice much appreciated.

Gene

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 01, 2019 May 01, 2019

Did you make sure that the users at the other end were completely unzipping the archive to a folder on their PC before attempting to view the content?  Some users think you can just double click the zip archive to see the contents and then double click the index.html to view the content in a web browser.  But this doesn't work.  You need to extract everything before trying to run the content.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure to be on exactly the same verision number which is 11.0.1.266?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify, they don't have Captivate so it wasn't the cptx files i was sharing, it was the publish to computer folder where you click on index.html to launch the resource in your browser. I previously used Captivate for PC and always used this method to share resources for review with the team, never had any issue opening them on PC or Mac. Recently I migrated to Mac, and have encountered this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you're publishing from a Mac, do all the files have extensions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not entirely sure what extensions you mean? I'm not the most technically experienced. Here's a screenshot of the folder of the published resource - I assumed that the index.html file would work on PC or Mac?

?Screenshot 2019-05-01 at 19.06.06.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's the .html and .txt files that PC users would need to have in order to view the files correctly. I only asked since this is a general issue that occurs when Mac users send files to PC users as Macs don't require extensions.

How are you sending the published files to people to review?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I zipped the folder and sent it online via WeTransfer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you make sure that the users at the other end were completely unzipping the archive to a folder on their PC before attempting to view the content?  Some users think you can just double click the zip archive to see the contents and then double click the index.html to view the content in a web browser.  But this doesn't work.  You need to extract everything before trying to run the content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't make sure of that! I knew you had to extract files before opening, and I assumed they did, but maybe that was a silly assumption to make! I will have to get them to try again tomorrow, thanks Rod.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2019 May 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may still find that some users will not be able to view HTML5 content locally due to security settings on their individual browsers.

The thing to remember about HTML5 is that it's mainly designed to be viewed from a web server.  To be guaranteed that your reviewers can see the content you should really consider getting access to some space on a web server where you can upload the content you want them to look at.  Then all you need to do is give them a link to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2019 May 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're right, that's the way to go. Much more straightforward.

Turns out that both your suggestions were correct for different colleagues! Thanks for the help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources