• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

If doing a software simulator, can one login take me to one branch and another take me to a different branch?

Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a software simulation for a call center product and I would like to have it so that one login takes me to the supervisor features, as though I was logged in as a supervisor, and the other take me to the agent features. I would assume I can specify that if they login with one name it goes to one branch and the other takes me to the other branch but not sure what that would be called in order to look it up.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 21, 2019 May 21, 2019

If I understand you correctly, you need a different Jump to Slide action to be performed according to the text entered into Text Entry boxes that are set up to look like the login fields of your simulated system.

Normally the way to do this would be with a Conditional Advanced Action that evaluates what the user has entered and then executes the appropriate action.

The tricky part is sometimes how to get the Conditional Action executed.  Do the users first enter their username and password in sep

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2019 May 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand you correctly, you need a different Jump to Slide action to be performed according to the text entered into Text Entry boxes that are set up to look like the login fields of your simulated system.

Normally the way to do this would be with a Conditional Advanced Action that evaluates what the user has entered and then executes the appropriate action.

The tricky part is sometimes how to get the Conditional Action executed.  Do the users first enter their username and password in separate fields and then click a Submit button?  Or is the sequence of user actions different?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ron, you are spot on.

The first thing they are "asked" when starting the software simulation is to enter a username and password. The password is not important but I would like to have it so that they can easily either see the "agent view" or the "supervisor view" based on the username. Here is a link to the simulator. You can currently type in anything (or nothing) in the username and password as long as you click the Login button. If you care to test around with it, I have a few hidden buttons on the top right (puts in a phone call), middle right (puts in a webchat) and bottom right (puts in an email).

http://teachesyouhow.com/CCSP/

Currently, I have only created the "agent view" but today I am going to start recording the "supervisor view."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to have this work with a user's actual username or password would require integration with the company's login system, which is likely to be too much trouble.

The simplest way to have it work is just to have a few different usernames and passwords for the teaching system and assign the user one of these (depending on their role).  Having too many different possible usernames and passwords generally isn't worth the extra hassle.  You just want the user to see the content that would be relevant to their role.  Most users can easily make the mental jump that the content they see changes according to the role.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ron,

Just to be clear that I am searching YouTube, Google and forums on what and how to accomplish this. Is it Conditional Advanced Actions with text box entry?

They will either type in agent or supervisor in the login name and then hit submit. Those are the only options. One will hypothetically send them to slide 10 and one will send them to slide 100. Happy to do the legwork to figure out how but not sure exactly what to be researching.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are on the right track.  Just having two possible usernames (agent or supervisor) is good.  Just to make it interesting I would also have unique passwords for each role.  Perhaps the agent's password is 007, and the supervisor's password has to be 008 or something like that.  However, setting all of this up isn't exactly as simple as you might hope.  Here are some suggestions to get you started.

You need one User Variable to hold the value they enter as their username, and this variable needs to be the one associated with the username field.  You need another variable for the password (if you do as I suggest above.)

As soon as the user enters text in a TEB it gets stored in the TEB's associated variable.  When you add a TEB to the project, Captivate automatically creates a User Variable and gives it the same default name as the TEB with which it is associated.  But you cannot change the name of this User Variable to something more descriptive of what type of data it will hold.  So I always prefer to create my own User Variables and then change the properties of the TEB to associate with the one I have named.

Once the user has entered data in both TEBs (username and password fields) you want them to click the Submit button, which will then be set to execute a Conditional Advanced Action.  This action will first check the values stored in each of the User Variables to see if they match a given combination, and if so, then send the user to a specific slide.  You need a separate decision block for each possible outcome.  So the decision for the agent will check that the username variable's value is agent AND the password variable is 007 before executing the action to Jump to Slide for that role.  The next decision block in the Conditional Action checks that username is supervisor and password is 008 and if so will jump the user to the first slide of the content for supervisors.

If neither decision block evaluates to TRUE, then you still need something to happen to let the user know.  I would have a hidden Smart Shape on the slide with text that says something like: "That combination of username and password is incorrect.  Please try again." or something like that.  The Conditional Action also needs to trigger an action to SHOW this shape when the user hasn't entered a correct combination.

But I will leave it to you to see if you can figure out how to get that part to work.  I've given you enough info to get started.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2019 May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Maybe you have also to cope with the possible situation that the user is not entering anything in the field(s)? In that case have a look at:

https://blog.lilybiri.com/where-is-null-in-cp2017

About Text Entry Boxes, this is a recent ost:

https://blog.lilybiri.com/text-entry-boxes-back-to-basics

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using a LMS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not for this simulator. It's literally a software simulator made for the sales team to be able to demo the product without a phone system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources