Highlighted

Imported MP4 not running when published to Web

Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have imported an 8 second MP4 file into a Captivate 9 course. A couple of days ago, the MP4 ran fine when I published the course to "Web". Today, it's not working - the MP4 isn't playing in Chrome or IE. The MP4 does run, though, when I view the module using SCORM Cloud. 

Has anyone run into this/any ideas? 

Thanks

Michele

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Imported MP4 not running when published to Web

Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have imported an 8 second MP4 file into a Captivate 9 course. A couple of days ago, the MP4 ran fine when I published the course to "Web". Today, it's not working - the MP4 isn't playing in Chrome or IE. The MP4 does run, though, when I view the module using SCORM Cloud. 

Has anyone run into this/any ideas? 

Thanks

Michele

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Enthusiast ,
Sep 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michelle,

When you say its not playing. What does that look like? Do you get an error message? Does it not show up at all? Does it show up, but not load? Also, is it an Event Video or is it streamed from an online service such as YouTube or Vimeo?

Cheers

Steve 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it plays fine in SCORM Cloud then there's not likely to be anything wrong with your content.  The MP4 is either being blocked from playing in the other web server (perhaps MP4 mimetype is not set up to play from that server) or else it is being blocked by Flash Global Security because the publish folder is not a Trusted Location.  (You don't mention whether you are publishing to HTML5 or SWF.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick answers. I believe it is an issue with the Flash Global Security. I heard the latest update is causing some issues with local playback of published content from another tool and this may be a similar situation. I had published to SWF. I will give that Trusted Location a try. When the MP4 ran, I was getting a blank screen with nothing in Chrome and then in IE, a rectangle spinning box in the upper left corner. It is an event video.

Michele

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best way to test whether Flash Global Security is an issue is to just upload the content to a web server, but in your case it has to be a web server that allows MP4 files to play.  Since you mentioned that the content played fine in SCORM Cloud I would have to say the content itself must be fine.  Your issue is with the platform you are playing it from.

If end users are going to be playing it from your LMS, then you shouldn't need to worry about Flash Global Security.  On the other hand, if you were intending to play this content from a file server on your network somewhere, forget it. You'd be in for a world of trouble.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the latest Chrome update, all our local flash content stopped working. Here is how we got it back.

You can update your global security setting here, tick always allow > edit location > add location > browse for folder.

Adobe - Flash Player : Settings Manager - Global Security Settings panel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I noticed that too with Chrome. Darn updates  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
Captivate User Guide
New Group