Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Improvement of grade - game with 3 attempts

Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I have a game with three tries where the best try is the one that counts. Everything is programmed this way and it is going fine, however, I need to give the possibility of improvement of grade. That is, the trainee may want to make the 3 attempts even if he has managed to reach the minimum in the first attempt. How do I do this? What´s happening is that once the trainee reach the minimum grade, the retry button disappears ...

I’m using Captivate 9.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the default funcitonality of the ReTry Quiz button.  It disappears once the learner successfully passes the quiz.  To my knowledge there is no 'out of the box' way to change this functionality.  I would suggest you try having a different version of the game that the learner can migrate over to once they pass the one at the lower level.  That's more the way games work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks RodWard! I'm not sure my explanation was clear. I need the trainee to respond the 3 attempts, regardless of the grade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you need to transfer the score to a LMS?  Long time ago I created this use case:

Link score to attempts in Custom questions - Captivate blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you cannot change the fact that the Captivate Retake Quiz button will disappear as soon as the learner reaches a passing score (even if it is the minimum required passing score) the only way I know of to give the learner more attempts to try and improve their score is to do it via the LMS.

You can set the number of allowed attempts INSIDE the Captivate module to whatever you want (e.g. Infinite Attempts) but the Retake Quiz button functionality will not change.  So you need to control whether or not the learner is allowed to try for a higher score in the LMS.  But not all LMSs allow you to do this.  I know Moodle (for example) does allow it.  There is a setting at the Course level that allows the Administrator to configure whether the learner's score is their first passing score, or their HIGHEST passing score.

So basically the learner would open the Captivate module from the LMS, achieve a passing score and then close it down.  To try for a better passing score, the learner would need to relaunch the module again from the LMS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks again for your help, Lilybiri and RodWard.

Since I’m already at a deadline, I worked around the problem in the simplest way: I kept the 3 attempts but I put the minimum score at 100%. Then I’ve changed the feedback texts to something like "Good! You know a lot about this!" (when it reaches 100%) and "Go for it! Try again! Sure you can get more than this!" (on any other note).

(Forgot to say that I need to transfer the score to an LMS.)

This was plan B due to the deadline of the project, however I’m looking forward to try out your suggestions!

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources