• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Increment a variable for progress

New Here ,
Aug 16, 2020 Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Captivate 2017. I've created an Adv Action that shows the progress of a module. However, the module starts after 8 slides. The progress shows a percentage completed as the learner goes through the module. I tried using the cpInfoCurrentSlide variable but its not accurate since it doesn't start on the literal 1. I created my own current slide variable but when the learner goes back a slide the progress decreases. How can I create a constant that only increments and stays constant when going back? 

TOPICS
Advanced actions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

I have written a couple of blogs to show the percentage completed for a project which has branching. Maybe they could help?

http://blog.lilybiri.com/percentage-progress-indicator-non-linear-course-solution-1

http://blog.lilybiri.com/percentage-progress-indicator-non-linear-course-solution-2

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2020 Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The value of cpInfoCurrentSlide is set when entering each slide, so you could have a Conditional Action set up to be triggered On Slide Enter that first looks at the value of your tracking variable and compares it with the current value of the system variable.  IF the system variable is greater than the current value stored in your tracking variable, THEN assign the tracking variable with the same value as the system variable, ELSE no action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have written a couple of blogs to show the percentage completed for a project which has branching. Maybe they could help?

http://blog.lilybiri.com/percentage-progress-indicator-non-linear-course-solution-1

http://blog.lilybiri.com/percentage-progress-indicator-non-linear-course-solution-2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for. I think this will work. 

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome! Keep us informed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first solution worked for me. I created a shared action and created variables for each slide. I got the results I needed. One thing I created was a slide count variable rather than use the cpInfoSlideCount system variable. This way I could control which 14 slides I wanted to use the progress with. There are two slides after the last module slide that did not need to be part of the progress.

Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK but may I change the 'correct answer'? You marked your answer as correct. The meaning of a 'correct answer' is to show up immediately under the Question, which makes it easier for other users to see how the problem was solved. With what you wrote, they still have to scroll in the complete thread to see what you are referring to.  As a moderator I can do this for you, but I don't like to do it without your consent. You are the 'owner' of the thread.

The answer with the links to the step-by-step workflows will be more useful than your answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry about that. Wasn't sure where to mark it. Please go ahead and change it.

Thank you

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always create a variable called myProgress and set it using JavaScript behind the scenes, but can also be set on slide enter of each slide. It's initialized to 0.

The condition is if myProgress is less than cpInfoCurrentSlide

Expression myProgress = cpInfoCurrentSlide - 1

That doesn't set progress until the current slide has been viewed by entering the next slide and also does NOT decrement.

You could do a little math and set it to a percent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David, solution I proposed is also functional for non-linear projects. Works bit different but ...without JS.

Wonder if your solution, which seems to depend on a system variable is still working when the progress indicator should only start after 8 slides as the OP asks? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it is always great to have multiple solutions to a problem available.

Thanks for sharing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources