Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do we insert a Drag N Drop question slide in the Mastery Challenge? Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

I'm not sure what slide type you are referring to when you mention Mastery Challenge, but you can add a drag and drop to just about any slide that contains objects that you would like to use for such an interaction. Here's a recent example of when I added a drag and drop into a slide that I designed for additional purposes.

Customize Your Adobe Captivate Drag and Drop with Settings and Animated GIFs 

Any drag and drop is a three-step process.

1. Identify the drag sources
  2. Identify the drop targets

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what slide type you are referring to when you mention Mastery Challenge, but you can add a drag and drop to just about any slide that contains objects that you would like to use for such an interaction. Here's a recent example of when I added a drag and drop into a slide that I designed for additional purposes.

Customize Your Adobe Captivate Drag and Drop with Settings and Animated GIFs 

Any drag and drop is a three-step process.

1. Identify the drag sources
  2. Identify the drop targets
  3. Identify the correct relationship between the two

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul, I'm thrilled & honored to have you answer my question. I'm a big follower of your tutorials, they amazingly well done, informative, easy to follow & to the point. I tried making a Drag N Drop slide separately & moved it inside my Mastery Challenge Quiz section & I was able to include that as a part of that quiz. Earlier I was trying to insert a Question slide with Drag N Drop, but as you know, there's no such option from within the Question Slide. Thank you very much for your help!

questionSlide.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul,

Is there a way to capture what activities the user have completed, before they exit the course? I'm creating a Bingo game with 25 squares (5 rows & 5 columns with acivities on each square, except the centre square). The game will not be completed in one sitting, the student will be able to come back & complete it at their convenience. Hence, I need to capture how many squares they've completed, so when they come back they can resume from where they left. Please advise, thanks

Rashmi Jain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to store any selections made in user variables of your choice. Then, upon entry of the slide you need an advanced action that changes the state of these objects based on the data stored in these variables. This way there is no need to retain the state of the objects on the slide, something that usually doesn't happen across multiple sessions for the learner. If you are using an LMS you will want to ensure that bookmarking is enabled. This is done in the Advanced section of your eLearning Reporting screen in your Quiz Preferences. Unless you changed it it should be on by default.

If you are not using an LMS you would need to store these variables to local storage. This is something you can do with JavaScript. Just Google "JavaScript Local Storage and Adobe Captivate" to find one of several tutorials on how to do this. The only problem with local storage is if a learner revisits the course from a different device that local storage won't be available to them on the new device as local storage saves those variables on the device they are initially running.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul, I appreciate your prompt help! In this case, I do want to retain the state, so when the learner exits the game & comes back at another time, those boxes are still marked complete & doesn't have to redo them. Is there any other reason you would recommend not retaining the state & storing in user variables?

Actually, I'm using the SABA - LMS. Attached is the location you referred to for book marking - correct me if I'm wrong?Bookmark Enabled location.png

The local storage is very helpful to know, I will explore that option for my other projects. Thank you very much! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bookmarking is purely based on slides. 

Although you can store and retrieve values of variables in local storage, there is no way to reset the state of the drag&drop slide to the one the learner left in a previous session, even if you have retrieve variable values. Maybe I misunderstand your request, but that is what I understood.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much Paul! I see where you're going with this. I'm sorry, I misled you to understand it was related to my original question on Drag-N-Drop (which is totally not related). I saw this post & thought it would be solely directed to you & get a quicker response if I posted my other question here, but apparently that was not a good idea, because I got you confused. My sincere apologies! Please advise on how to reach you directly, if I need your advice.

For the current question on - Bingo: I used, 'Retain state when slide revisited' for the buttons & that solved my problem.

I do have another independent question:  When I add actions to 'Execute Advanced Actions', they disappear (shows up blank) when I open that action again, inspite of saving the action. Wondering if you know why or how to fix that. Only one Execute Advance Action is showing up with all the actiopns I added to it. This never happened before. Please see the 2 images below. Thank you very much in advance!

Bingo-Actions-onEnter.png

Bingo_actionsPanel-Blank.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2021 Aug 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Such an issue is often due to using same name for multiple items.  Such as using same name for a variable and an advanced action. Using reserved words as names can have the same result.

Please, when showing an advanced action, use the Preview window, which allows to see multiple decisions at once. You showed only one THEN part of the first decision.

The Preview windows can be opened using the first button (arrow) in the top right control panel of the Advanced Actions dialog box. See http://blog.lilybiri.com/advanced-actions-dialog-box-in-captivate-2017

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been trying various things to see it the Advanced Actions Panel will work for me, but it still doesn't. I deleted all the unused actions & variables. You mentioned not to use same name for a variable and actions, I checked and didn't find any duplicates, as a matter of fact the system doesn't allow to use same names, it prompts me to use a different name. Shown in pic 2 the actions I put  and then when I go back to open that action, it is all gone, see pic 1. Please advise and thanks again.Actions-Summary-Blank.pngActions-Summary.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was just an example, you may have used a name somewhere else which is reused in the advanced action.

Only other possibility is that the slide is corrupted. I have created tons of advanced and shared actions since over a decade, and the only situation where I encountered an advanced action which clears all the commands was with a conflict due to duplicate use of names.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see. I will clear everything and start fresh, give me sometime. I will let you know if that worked, I'm really curious to find out, thanks very much for your help! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am curious as well, advanced and shared actions are the main topics on my blog, which explains my involvement in finding out what happened in your situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to have connected with you 🙂 ! Understandable, your interest! I will keep you posted 👍

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You were right, it was the same name for a button & a variable that was causing the problem. Ithank you very much for your help! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the heads up, and for confirming my suspicion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources