• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Interaction following timeline of vide

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone. We're considering using Adobe Captivate as a tool for our interactive e-Learning modules; however, I would love to get some feedback about the 'sync' of interactions on a video timeline - this is a problem that forced us to resort to a custom framework, after Articulate Storyline wasn't able to adress it. 

Many of our clients access this e-learning in a low bandwith environment, which causes the video to buffer but the interaction time line would continue playing, causing interactions to come at incorrect times. 

Ultimately what I'm looking for is an ability to trigger an interaction when the video timeline reaches, for example, 00:23 (not the actual project timeline). 

I've looked in this community and found the following posts, but don't address the problem directly. 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/captivate/interactive-video-loading-causing-slide-to-lose-sync/m-p/10...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/captivate/streaming-interactive-video-loading-delay/m-p/10401289?page...

Thanks in advance for any ideas or inputs about this!

TOPICS
Audio and video , Branching , Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terminologyis always a problem... You talk about 'interactive tutorials', but the links you show are not about really interactive tutorials but about a more recent hybrid use of 'interactive video', which is a combination of a video which pauses at ceertain points to show more information or a knowledge check slide in a static overlay slide. I don't label that as a normal interactive tutorial which is NOT based on a video, but has a slide-based approach.

Timeline in such a normal Captivate project is quite different from the timeline in a video.  

Please, specify what you want exactly to create: video with overlay slides (not that much interactive) or really interactive tutorials? This si an interactive video:

http://www.lilybiri.com/published/PlayPause_Scal/index.html

This is an interactive tutorial:

http://www.lilybiri.com/published/AnswerChoice/index.html

Hope you understand the difference?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Thanks for your quick reply! I'm fairly new to this so my terminology might be off for sure.  Our modules are video-based with interactions that lead to branching. You can see a small excerpt from one of our modules here: https://vimeo.com/326377794/4df2770843

So the issue we face with other tools is that when the video is forced to buffer, like on a slower connection, the 'interaction timeline' doesn't consider that fact and moves forward as usual, causing the interaction to appear before the video reaches the needed point. 

I hope that's a bit more clear from my side, sorry about the confusion. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but a 'video' cannot have interactions....  That is why I offered two links to explain the difference betwee what is confusingly called 'interactive' video and a fully interactive course. On vimeo you will always have a passive video. You can use it to create an interactive video, and the overlay slides will appear at the planned frame. In an interactive video you only have a video timeline, and the overlay slides (and eventually bookmarks) are on that line. There is NO interaction timeline at all. The video is paused and the overlay slide will appear. That slide has its slide timelin which can have pausing points to allow control by the learner.

Means that I really don't know yet what you want to do, what you mean by 'interactivity'?

Recently I presented a webinar about 'interactivity in CP':

http://blog.lilybiri.com/interactivity-in-captivate-back-to-basics

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Lilybiri, 

I am completely aware that Vimeo will be a passive video. The link I sent to the Vimeo is a screen recording of the way our module behaves now. 

Our whole problem is centered around the issue of a slow connection, because our video content ant our interaction content don't play on one timeline. You can see a key example of this case here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SVZL294sKRsnXBI-wE9UdiWGZQSJ6dDD/view

You will see that the warning box comes up while the video is still playing, and when the user clicks on 'Got it', it continues at a specific part of the video. So when the connection is slow and the video is forced to buffer, this interaction comes up much earlier than expected. I hope this example makes it clearer. 

Thanks again for your patience!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Warning box is NOT an interaction. You put static objects on top of a video, and in that case you'll have indeed issues when using low bandwidth. Sorry, but finally understand you just want to have static objects, but no interactivity at all. Strange use of an eLearning authoring tool where the main goal is interactivity, but that is just a personal opinion.

Only recommendation I can give in that case is to spread the video over multiple slides, to avoid having to looad one heavy video On Enter of one long slide. Another tip: move the video timeline on each slide to leave a small gap (to have more time for loading) and fill the gap with a static image. 

Best way: use a video  editing tool to add static objects so that everything is in one video. Do not use an elearning authorinng tool to create a tutorial without interactivity. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources