• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Interactive Video (Embed) Closed Captions?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I posted about this earlier in this thread - but need an answer on this urgently.

I have created an Interactive Video scenario using an embedded Youtube video. I do not own the Youtube account so cannot set up/force closed captions to display through the account. 

I can not find a way to add my own closed captions to the Interactive Youtube video. It doesn't look possible. Does anyone know how? If not I will have to download the video and upload locally to add the closed captions. 

Thanks,

Reuben

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Reuben,

This would be one of the arguments against using Vimeo or YouTube for your interactive videos. Not only do you not have control over features like closed captioning there is risk in using someone else's video. I had an experience about six or seven years ago. I was creating a training course and I wanted to use a video from a manufacturer of something called Air Stairs. The company had this video on YouTube that showed users how to operate this device. I reached out to the company and not only did they give me permission to use their video (something I recommend getting), but they sent me the original high-quality video for me to use in my training. They were more than happy to have a training course that promoted their product. I also was able to add closed captions to the video and have them show up in the training. 

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your insight. I had received permission to use the Youtube video for training, so that wasn't an issue. I wanted to embed the video because it would reduce the file size of the output. I have since uploaded the video but the SCORM size is now 200mb+ which is not ideal. I will have to play with the compression settings to try to reduce the file size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Video in eLearning usually means some compromise. I always think about the best experience for the user rather than the best resolution. I would rather have a slightly lower quality video that loads almost immediately rather than a high resolution quality video that the learner has to wait for it to load.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources