• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Interactive Video

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Due to the COVID pandemic, I am forced to rely on video to be interctive with my students. I have a rather lenghty video of a healthcare procedure and seemed to have things working well until I preview in HTML5.

As I progressed and added about 6 (out of 12) bookmarks - along with my knowledge check questions, the development has become a bit clunky. When I preview my work, the first two knowledge checks (most often) perform as intended. Sometimes I might get three to work and then I get a buffering overlay while the video plays and no other knowledge checks display at the key moment (loss of sync happens quickly). It appears to me to be a sync issue. I'm just asking if anything can be done to improve performance?

Is there a way to "preload" things to reduce buffering or should I look for another solution?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realise that Captivate gives you the option of creating interactive video, but it's not always the best user experience.

If this is just one huge video with overlaid quiz questions, then I suggest you need to break up your video into smaller video segments (separate MP4 files) and put each one on a separate slide.  Then add your knowledge check questions as separate slides in between the video slides.

With HTML5 content each slide gets downloaded as you get to it.  Preloading is usually limited to downloading all the background infrastructure required to deliver the content user interface etc. So the smaller the download required for each slide, the quicker it will load.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rod. I will break the video into smaller clips. I was hoping that the KC questions and results would be included in the SCORM report but it looks like that's not possible with KC items?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Knowledge Check slide are not included in the quizzing system variables. But if you use multiple video clips, you can insert real quiz slides in between the video clips. Here is a post explaining the differences between KC slides and normal quiz slides:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/knowledge-check-slides-tips

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to Lilybiri, I am able to track the "correct" selections of my KC questions with a user variable. I was hoping that I could pass that user variable to a system variable such as cpQuizInfoPointsscored. So far, I haven't had any success.  

I have created a "normal" quiz with one (short answer) question at the end of my project and and was planning to hide it at runtime.  I was hoping that this "normal" quiz would serve as the vehicle to generate a SCORM report within my LMS. I just don't know how to pass my user variable so it is sent as part of the SCORM report.  Does anyone have any solutions?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want all of your questions (currently Knowledge Check question slides) to be reported via SCORM then you need to rebuild them again but this time use proper Quiz slides instead.  Trying to get a user variable reported to the LMS as a SCORM score is not something Captivate does our of the box. 

Some LMSs do store the contents of Captivate user variables if the user suspends playback and then feed them back to the course module when resuming.  But this doesn't really get you what you want to do, and only some LMSs even offer this at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Of course you can store them in a user variable. But that doesn't mean that it will be reported to the LMS, since the quizzing system variables will not be populated at all. Whether the value of the user variable is visible in the LMS depends on the LMS and will certainly not be added to the gradebook automatically. That is the reason I suggested to insert quiz slides in between video clips. I have tried to jump out of the interactive video to such a quiz slide, and back tot he video using bookmarks but it is not working very well, so I gave up and used the solution I proposed here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree with Rod. You can even distribute the video over multiple slides... You didn't specify the size of the video, have created several interactive videos but often in combination with normal slides. One of the reasons: only KC slides are possible, not scored quiz slides. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources