• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Intermittently not Capturing Keystrokes

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2018 Nov 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I've downloaded the trial version of Captivate and have been testing it for a few hours now, attempting to create some Software Simulation demo videos. However, the program will only intermittently capture keystrokes when typing. I have tried typing in three different browsers (Edge, Explorer, Chrome - in address bars and in websites) and I Notepad. Sometimes, it will capture the keystrokes but it is very rare. Most of the time, the text will either just be there at the slide to begin with, or it will appear during the slide.

I contacted support and after trying a few things and doing a screen share, he just confirmed for me that this is a flaw with Captivate. That sometimes, it just doesn't work and will not capture keystrokes.

I'm so bewildered by this...An Adobe program that requires a $30/month purchase just...doesn't work sometimes?

I feel like I must be missing something. Is this an issue that will be resolved?? I really want to make Captivate work because I am a long-time Adobe user and love their products. But I mean...if their own support staff admit that it only works sometimes...I can't afford to waste time and money.

If anyone has an actual solution to this issue, or even news that the issue is being worked on, I would love to hear it.

For reference, here is the ending to my support chat (last names removed). I can share the whole thing. It's just a bit lengthy:

Date: 2018-11-19 11:53:53 SGT

To: Everyone

I apologize but there is nothing else we can do on this issue

----------------------------------------------------------

Date: 2018-11-19 11:54:18 SGT

So this is just a Captivate flaw? That it just doesn't work sometimes?

Date: 2018-11-19 11:54:27 SGT

And there is no solution?

Date: 2018-11-19 11:54:55 SGT

I apologize I but I have tried the preference but there is nothing else we can do

Date: 2018-11-19 11:55:20 SGT

Is that a yes to my questions?

Date: 2018-11-19 11:55:26 SGT

yes

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please start by confirming whether you are on Windows or Apple OS, and whether or not you are trying to capture on your main monitor or on a secondary monitor?  You mention you are trying to create 'demo videos'.  Are you referring to a Video Demo capture which creates an MP4 output, or a screen-by-screen capture that will be effectively capturing screenshots on separate slides?

Don't believe everything you are told by the 'support' people at Apple.  Most of the time they are just working their way through a script on screen that will suggest possible solutions.  They are extremely unlikely to have ever actually used the software they are 'supporting', so their personal knowledge and experience will usually be next to zero.

Having said that, there are certain circumstances where Captivate will not detect screen events (user interactions) during a capture session, and in such cases you may need to resort to other methods.  In my experience Captivate works quite reliably and screencapture is pretty much where it started out.  So if you are experiencing a big issue with this aspect, it might not be Captivate's fault but something on your own computer that is not allowing it to work as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm operating on a Windows 10 laptop, single monitor.

I've been attempting the screen-by-screen capture. I select Software Simulation and then check Demo (and training because I'd like that, too, but I'm primarily concerned with the demo version). My goal is to have an MP4 exported but would also like the HTML5 option.

Yeah, I gathered that. He was not at all helpful, unfortunately.

Any reason why Captivate seems to not detect some screen events? I've tried taking my sweet time, hoping that it was just that I was typing too fast for it to keep up, but that does not seem to be the case.

If it's something on my own computer, that would be great. Means it should (hopefully) be solvable, if I can only figure out what it is.

Thanks for your response, RodWard!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you launching Capitvate with 'Run as Admininstrator' setting? That is pretty mportant for any capture. If you are interested in a MP4 demo version, I would prefer to use Video Demo, but that is bit off topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hadn't tried that previously. But I just tried it and ended up with the same results. In a single recording, I tried typing in a Chrome browser address bar, website login, website search, and address bar again.

-No keystrokes shown in first address bar test. URL just appears in next slide.

-Same for login fields. The words aren't there in one slide. Then they are in the next.

-Some keystrokes did appear in the website search field. Mostly two characters at a time or more, still not single keystrokes.

-Tried the address bar again and this instance had the URL appear word by word (though missing the last letter of ".com" - which is just there in the next slide.). Still not keystrokes, but there's SOME capturing happen.

Just seems all over the place. I'm not detecting any sort of pattern.

Thank you for your response, Lilybiri!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to aks: can you check the full version number (uncer Help, About Captivate')? It should be 11.0.1.266.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is 11.0.1.266

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try to capture something in a normal application, not i a browser. Just for testing. Normally for a field a so-called Typing object shold appear.  I never use sim for demo, always video demo, but will double-check on a system with Win10.

It works fine for me... Do you see a Typing Object on the slides where you filled in a web address or a form field?

TypingObject.png

BTW I did record in a Chrome browser, not in a normal application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I performed a few more tests.

When recording in an application that is NOT a browser, it seems to capture keystrokes fine. I tried this in Notepad and in MS Outlook. Yes, the Typing Object was visible.

I tried again recording screen area instead of application window and switched to a browser. It seemed to perform a little better, but not by much. Just a couple more instances of keystrokes being captured.

Tried a few tests like this with similar results. The Notepad and MS Outlook applications always capture the keystrokes. The browser is very hit or miss. In the browser instances where the text just suddenly appears on the next slide, there is no Typing Object. But the instances where SOME keystrokes are captured, there is a Typing Object. An instance I see frequently when typing in a URL is that the "www." is just there at the beginning of that slide (even though I typed it in), then as it plays, it plays over the Typing Object. Takes a few seconds, then the next part of the URL appears in full. Takes another couple seconds and the ".com" appears. In full words rather than keystrokes.

Glad to find it works in other applications at least, But I have tried Chrome, Explorer, and Edge so far with the same results. Captivate just has trouble with Internet browsers perhaps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have really no idea about the cause: I tried an URL an a couple of fields, looks OK to me. Only used Chrome, no other browser. Of course there is the Auto fill for URL's sometimes appearing in my casE. 

Maybe Rod could detect something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing I have seen is that some websites (and apps) use programming techniques that for some reason are not easily detected by Captivate.  Theoretically, this is only ever a problem for screen-by-screen capture and shouldn't affect VIDEO DEMO because that just captures video frames.

Which specific websites are you trying to capture?  Have you tried other websites (e.g. Google search fields) to see if the issue is with all websites or only some of them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried it on various websites now and get the same results. Happens in the address bars as well as inside the webpages. Google, Facebook, my work website, other social media and news sites.

I went to try and test out just using Video Demo instead of Software Simulation's demo mode but when I press record, I get a fatal error message and Captivate shuts down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well if Captivate is completely crashing when you attempt a Video Demo capture that pretty much says that your system currently has some issue that is preventing the app from working properly. 

Lilybiri mentioned the need to be launching Captivate with Run As Administrator privileges.  I didn't see where you confirmed that you were doing this as yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources