• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is Adobe Captivate right for me?

New Here ,
May 08, 2013 May 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*  About me: I am a beginner in terms of Adobe products (other than the free A. Reader).  First project ever using Adobe was creating a course announcement from a template.  It was a great way to “jump in” and start learning.  I don’t have any formal training in art, layout/design, webpages, or computers, but I pick up on things quickly.    I have used the search function, read through content on Adobe.com, and watched some Adobe TV episodes.  My goal is to get some real, live, professional advice from the adobe community.  Adobe enthusiasts….please educate me.  (“hat tipped in your direction”)     *   I'm a college-level educator looking to offer our students alternative methods for learning/supplementing their studies on their own time.  Some students can’t make my office hours and will email questions.  I usually write it out with complete descriptions, scan, & email…. but would like to incorporate more visual/technologically advanced options.  I’m also designing (science & math) curriculum for the college’s tutoring center that will all be used as a "digital library".       *  Friday (5/3/13):  I didn’t have such a great initial impression of the Adobe sales department, as it didn’t seem like my questions were being addressed.  It was an experience most would relate to when working with a high-pressure, used car sales agent.  Sorry for the stereotype.  After receiving a call from Adobe’s Social Media Rep.  (Thank you Rani) to address my poor customer service/sales experience, I called back and spoke with a different sales agent who was polite and less aggressive (Thank you Sarah).  She recommended that I look into Adobe Capture.       *  Please provide me with your thoughts.  If you prefer to include a link to save you time, I’m happy with that too.     - Which programs should I really consider (in the CC or other Adobe programs…or an option outside of Adobe that would work as an alternative)?   - Any cost saving measures would be appreciative.  It’s the typical “budget constraint” conversation.     - I would need to account for the amount of time it will take for learning the program/technology to accomplish the goals (are my expectations too high for a part time summer project committing time of about 8-10 hours per week).   - Any Technology input you have to offer would be great.   - Everything else I am forgetting.  Please feel free to step outside of my tiny box and offer unbridled advice and suggestions.      *  Adobe Captivate (wish it was in CC) was recommended for the following.  Are there any other options from the tools in CC so I can avoid purchasing Captivate?   My goals are:   1.)    To make a screen capture type video as a way to respond to students who email me questions.  For simplicity purposes, something like Khan Academy seems like the quickest and easiest way to respond digitally. http://www.khanacademy.org/science/chemistry   2.)    How about for those of us who felt like an organized test review would have been helpful before that chemistry final.  Not all students are able to make my scheduled reviews and I feel bad for the students who have to work and can’t be there.  I would like to make a video of my live test reviews, something similar to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-XXSbg3YnE   3.)    As a supplement for students, I would like to do a “video learning series” for them to have access to in the tutoring center.  I really like the screen capture and mixed in video of Terry White in the corner (this would be ideal; the Adobe TV videos are a great format but I’m afraid it’s going to take a professional skill-level to even come close to do something like that?? http://tv.adobe.com/watch/creative-suite-podcast-designers/how-to-get- started-with-adobe-muse-10-things-beginners-want-to-know/  - Terry Blogged about how he does his videos: http://terrywhite.com/i-use-screenflow/     *  Website: Muse (I feel pretty confident with using this program), especially since there is an exact tutorial of doing a course website.  Thanks Adobe)   *  Print Course Material: (worksheets & study aids): InDesign (and Illustrator for the reproducible files from the textbook company)  *  Video Editing: I was told Captivate has everything I would need (Premier Pro is an option with CC)     *  My current Technology: Dell Studio Laptop with built in HD webcam, Windows 7/64 bit, i5 processor, 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB external HD & a separate 22” LCD screen  Logitech C920 Webcam, Tripod, Wacom Bamboo Capture (digital tablet: http://www.wacom.com/en/products/pen-tablets/bamboo/bamboo-capture          No lighting or green screen, microphone or audio hardware yet.  I’m on a budget…but would like to have a quality video that students won’t mind watching.       Tutorial Site for Learning:  I really wish Adobe TV had a “beginners series” for the programs.  If I’m looking for the most basic “how to videos” related to Captivate 6, would I want to search the earlier version software videos for such entry level instruction?  There is always www.lynda.com     Budget: I can afford the CC membership OR Adobe Captivate (with discounts).  My personal laptop will have to do; I’m pretty sure it’s better than the college issued machine anyway.     Do these qualifiers limit me too much?  Hopefully I’m not missing anything important, but if so, please ask.     Thank you MUCH! E

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No paragraph breaks.. yuck.. makes it a chore to try and read.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never thought I would agree with this person:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67Iw9q2X9cU

But in difference I won´t sign up.

No to CC!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, looks like you have some upset customers....it doesn't look good when long-time users derail a potential customer's thread.  How much money in marketing & advertising did it take to get me to this point in the purchasing process?  Hmmm. 

Scott, I agree- my apologies.  P. breaks were there prior to submitting.  Maybe it doesn't work with "copy/pasting". 

While I won't disagree that the CC membership may be similar to a "kick in the .....", I am looking for productive suggestions to go along with any and all "downsides".  I have included my goals and look forward to direct feedback, but please include suggestions that are helpful.  Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edge I have moved this discussion to the Captivate forum.  Based off the description of what you are looking to accomplish I believe Captivate will be the correct solution for you.

You are welcome to try a copy of Captivate for 30 days from http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?loc=en%5Fus&product=captivate to evaluate the software for yourself.

Also we have a Getting Started forum for Adobe Captivate at http://forums.adobe.com/community/adobe_captivate/adobe_captivate_gettingstarted.  This would be a great place to post regarding suggestions on learning resources as well as if you have any getting started type questions.  There are also several other topic specific forums which can be accessed from the main Captivate forum at http://forums.adobe.com/community/adobe_captivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff.  I looked through/searched posts, but didn't find anything specific regarding my questions. 

1.) I'd like to make screen capture videos with my Wacom Tablet (like Khan Academy).  He uses Camtista and C. Draw

2.) Making videos like Terry White (and other Adobe TV episodes, link above) would be ideal.  Is it safe to assume I would need to be operating at an 'expert level' to even come close to such quality?  What type of videos would I be able to create with average tech ability, computer skills, and ~2 months of 8 hours/week devoted to Captivate learning  (Lynda/Adobe TV)?

3.) Is Captivate my only option from Adobe, or can I accomplish my video goals with the programs in Creative Cloud?

Thanks, E

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2013 May 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should probably also look at the latest Adobe Presenter and Adobe Video Creator which comes bundled with the e-learning suite.  They work really well together and allow you to create great video tutorials very easily.

Here are some of the ones we've done with it for our own Captivate widgets: http://www.infosemantics.com.au/adobe-captivate/youtube-video-tutorials

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rod.  I was told that with my education discount, Captivate would be a "better deal" than Presenter.  Adobe doesn't have an applicable education discount for Presenter or the 'e-learning suite'.

It looks like the major difference is that Presenter is a Powerpoint based format.  How is the screen capture feature different between the two programs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In previous versions of Captivate before Cp6 and ELS 6 the Presenter app was little more than a PowerPoint plugin.  But with ELS6 Adobe added the Presenter Video Creator app.  In my opinion this app makes creating video tutorials as easy as falling off a log.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources