• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is Captivate the right kind program for this kind of interactivity?

Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to create a training video that includes some assignments that require the student to interact with the material displayed on the screen. This is a very simple example of the kind of thing I have in mind:

InteractivtyExample.jpg

One option is that it would reject the image if the user tried to drop it in the wrong place. Alternatively, the user drags and drops all three and then presses a "submit" button, and receives a right/wrong report or score.

Is Adobe Captive the best program for creating this kind of content?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Captivate can meet your needs -

I think you are new to how this all works so a little bit of instruction for you may help you out. You used the term video - you are not making a video (.mp4 file for  example a youtube video) that would be passive learning.

You are creating an eLearning course (.cptx published to html5 for  publishing to web server or lms) for the drag and drop interaction to work for the learner as they complete the activity - this would be active learning or user engagement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are of course correct about my incorrect use of the word video. And, yes, I am a newbie. Trying to make sure I am investing my time appropriately before starting to teach myself how to use Captivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2019 Jan 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate is indeed the right application, if you publish to HTML5 or SWF. You need an interactive movie, not a video which is always passive. The term interactive video exists, but that is limited and Drag&Drop is not possible in such a video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Now I have to figure out which LMS to plan for. I want to preserve all the interactivity I can create with Captivate; but the courses will be for-profit (i.e. the students will pay to access them). Is Captivate Prime the right LMS? Or is it mostly for intra-corporation courses? I need the features for collecting payment and granting access only to paying students.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LMS tend to pay for use at the corporate end not the user end. Prime is like that and specifically identifies users.

The question you need to ask is do I need to record results in a central location. If so then you will need an lms but the customer monitization will be the issue you will have to overcome.

You may need to create a portal that links to a paypal type of payment system to a web server, or custom lms type application in order to have a user pay system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is all a bit confusing to me - any chance you could give me a "for dummies" explanation?

I want to create and sell highly-interactive training courses. I'm willing to put the time in to learn one authoring package, and I'm thinking that Captivate might fit the bill. And I've already got a robust email list and other avenues for promoting the course.

So what I need it the payment gateway and then, obviously, the platform that delivers the course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The bottom line is do you need to collect the results of the training through a quiz or some way of tracking the learner. If so you need an lms.

If you don't need to track results, (think of an lms as a data base of learner results) then you can host your courses on a web server and create a front end payment system that when paid for the the user directs them to the course. 

In simple terms you cannot link a consumer pay system to the lms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources