Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way for learners to export question responses as a PDF

Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I’m trying to make an online course using Adobe Captivate. As part of the course, I would like learners to input their reflections into a text entry box and be able to download their response as a pdf. Eventually, the idea is that they will be able to keep this for themselves, and then send it to me for assessment.

So, in short, is it possible to create a button that exports the slide or just their answers as a pdf, word document or in some other appropriate format?

It would be even better if they could do this at the end of the project, and export all of their responses at once.

Any help with this will be hugely appreciated and thank you in advance,

Ben

TOPICS
Advanced , Advanced actions , Download assets , Import export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate courses are generally running client side by the learner.  This means that the browser has no access to a file system to be able to export or save something as you suggest.  It is possible to do, but is definitely a custom solution. You would need an intermediary server running somewhere that would send and catch the info you want turned into another data form (pdf, etc) and save it (server side has file access).  Keep in mind this could be a remote AWS server someone spins up for this purpose. (Sounds complicated but a fairly easy setup for a coder).  

If you are running it from an LMS, capitvate does have a long answer question quiz type that may report back that you might be able to do something meaningful with?

One low tech solution might be to create an an email that autopopulates with the information that you  want, but it wouldn't be automatic - it would just open the users default email and populate all the details - they would still have to hit send.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your comment, it's super helpful!!! By chance, do you know of any tutorials I could watch on how to do the email option? I can see a 'Send e-mail to' option in the advanced actions, but I can't see how you control what is sent, or how they can send the email to themselves. I think an email function could be very useful. 

Thank you again, 

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't refer you  to any tutorials, but I can put you on the right track........so the send email advanced action will not be of much help to us, becuase we can't append things to the body (the info you want to send)

Instead, use button  that executes  javascript and create an action that looks something like this.  I borrowed this directly from stack overflow https://stackoverflow.com/questions/271171/sending-emails-with-javascript
and edited for example

var link = "mailto:me@example.com"
+ "&subject=Stuff%20I%20want%20to%20send"
+ "&body=" + variableInformationFromCaptivate
;
window.location.href = link;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again, this is very useful information. I'll give it a try and see if I can make it work 😊

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources