• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to identify what version of Captivate was used to create a SCORM package?

New Here ,
Jul 11, 2018 Jul 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm working with a client that has been using Captivate since version 4 or 5.  We're attempting to do an audit of their content, in part to prepare for the end-of Flash.  I have access to the SCORM packages on the server.  Is there any way to identify from these files what version of Captivate was originally used to create the content?  Bonus question, if the content contains Flash files, is there anyway to see (other than launching) whether it was also published to support HTML5?  Basically, we're trying to get a handle on the level of effort we have on our hands.  Any guidance at all is greatly appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 11, 2018 Jul 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonus question - html5 publishing was introduced in Captivate 6 so content from those versions would not be in html5 output.

You will need native .cp and .cptx files to carry out a conversion.

Your conversion process would be .cp version 4 to a .cptx format - you might want to try version 6 ( as I remember I think it can suck in .cp files) 

I recently brought version 5, 5.5 ,6 files forward to version 9 and then more recently those files into html5 - 2017 - had to do a clean up using the tracker but the client is happy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On recent Captivate versions, there's a System Variable 'CaptivateVersion'. So if you ran the course in Chrome, brought up the developer Tools and ran alert(CaptivateVersion); from in the Console, it whould give you the version number in an alert box.

Catch is, I don't know when this variable was introduced. Might not yet have been around in Versions 4 or 5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most system variables were introduced with 5.5 or 6. Not sure about 5, certainly not with 4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An easy way to see if there is any HTML-published content in those packages is to look for 'index.html'. If for Flash, the HTML launch file is named the same as the project (i.e. 'my-project.html'). Developers can rename it, of course, and update the manifest, but I doubt many do. Plus then there are all the HTML support folders/files too...

But as others said, if it was done with versions prior to 6, there's certainly not going to be HTML-published content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you have access to the SCORM packaged files...and if Adobe followed the general SCORM packaging guidelines, you should (might) be able to locate the version of Captivate used by looking in the metadata.xml file which is part of the SCORM packaged set of files.

In the metadata.xml file will be a series of <vcard> xml blocks...enclosed <contribute>..one of them should provide data related to Publisher or the like that was used to record the software tool used to publish the SCORM package.

Just open the metadata.xml file in your preferred code/HTML/XML editor and do a search for Captivate or  even Adobe Captivate...

I extracted an example of what I'm talking about:

<contribute>

<role>

<source>

<langstring xml:lang="x-none">LOMv1.0</langstring>

</source>

<value>

<langstring xml:lang="x-none">Publisher</langstring>

</value>

</role>

<centity>

<vcard>BEGIN:VCARD

VERSION:2.1

FN:Adobe Captivate

NOTE: version 9.0.2.437            

URL: http://www.adobe.com/products/captivate.html

END:VCARD</vcard>

</centity>

</contribute>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know ultimately it doesn't matter. The .swf files are compiled - so you will need the original .cp converted to .cptx and .cptx files to be able to republish the content into html5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unzip the scorm package, locate the project.txt or project.json file and view it in a text editor. First line will show the Captivate version used to publish.

{"metadata":{"generator":"Captivate","generatorVersion":"10.0.1"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources