Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issue when importing text captions

New Here ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm working with Captivate 7 and Windows 10. When I try to import a .doc file with a translation of my project, the result is 0 captions imported and nothing updates in the cptv file. Which can be the problem?

I have try with a new project with only a couple of word translated and the system works perfectly when I import the file, so the problem is not the version of the softwares.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 21, 2019 Feb 21, 2019

You have to export your captions directly into an MS Word document from the Captivate project itself using File > Export > Project Captions and Closed Captions.  Don't use the XML export.

Then you must change NOTHING about that CPTX file whatsoever between the time you to the export and the time your translated document comes back to you.  Changing anything in the CPTX risks an unsuccessful import.  So mothball the CPTX and take a copy of that file if you will be needing an original language vers

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you perform any edits to the original CPTX AFTER you exported the captions out to that Word doc that got translated?  If you continued editing the document, your changes may have broken the links to the individual objects in the project that needed to be translated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the anwser but no. I have not perform edits on the original cptx after the export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe try generating a new export of your project text and captions and copying and pasting the appropriate translations into the newly created document. When I would send the export to the translation company they would often mess with the file preventing a proper import later on. I can't tell you how many times I had to remind them not to change any of the text outside of the table.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2018 May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Paul. I have tried it and it works with some files but not in some others...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2018 May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, in either case, it sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you. Best of luck.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2019 Feb 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, no solution from my side, but I'm seeking a solution for the same Problem.

Currently I use CP 2019, I newly exported the captions, copied the translation into this file and saved it (DOC-name unchanged), but Adobe only provides the pop-up " 0 elemtns imported" upon my import attempts.

(I used to have the same Problem previously with CP 9 as well. Back then my "solution" was to ask the initial Producer of that Project to Import the translations for me (on a good will Basis)...)

=> Does anyone out there have an idea, how I can successfully Import my translations ???

thanks !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2019 Feb 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to export your captions directly into an MS Word document from the Captivate project itself using File > Export > Project Captions and Closed Captions.  Don't use the XML export.

Then you must change NOTHING about that CPTX file whatsoever between the time you to the export and the time your translated document comes back to you.  Changing anything in the CPTX risks an unsuccessful import.  So mothball the CPTX and take a copy of that file if you will be needing an original language version of it as well.

When you get your translated MS Word doc back, hopefully the translator has ONLY done changes to the column that is indicated to be the translated one, and has made no changes to the other column that contains the original language.  Then you should be able to import the captions and closed captions by going to File > Import > Project Captions and Closed Captions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2019 Mar 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really wish I had read your suggestion to mothball the original CPTX file after sending off for translation. But, I was able to get back on track by re-exporting the captions and then doing a few copy/paste. Thanks for the great suggestions!

Now I just need to find a better way to control (or add) hyphenation when the text wraps in multiple languages...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm facing the same problem. After exporting the captions with File > Export > Project Captions... I saved the cptx and didn't touch it at all. Now that tried to import the translated file I get the message that 648 items have been imported but there is no change inside the project. I exported the captions again and made small changes to see if it works, but after succesfully importing the captions the text in the project is still the same. 

What else can I try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Close Captivate then open Captivate, and open only the file that you exported the text. Now follow the import steps as presented in previous conversations, Import>Captions>.... You should now see the number of captions successful, and also the updating thumbnail dialog box. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Are there any other suggestions? Receiving 0 Items imported but have made no changes at all to the file and carefully copy/pasted the translated text myself to ensure nothing else is changed. I have tried opening and closing Captivate. I have several courses needing translation and am totally stuck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying you copied and pasted text into the translation document (MS Word) that was exported from your Captivate file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you take this project and Export Project Captions and Closed Captions, does the resulting file include captions from the WHOLE project? Or does the document get to a certain slide and then stop? 

I'm asking because I believe I am facing a similiar issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources