• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issue with importing PowerPoint into Captivate 2017

New Here ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can no longer import PowerPoint into Captivate (2017). I have previously been able to do so, but it stopped working for me recently (as of yesterday). Every time I try to import a PPT (anything from 1 slide up to an entire presentation), Captivate freezes on me. I have to open my computer's Task Manager and end the Captivate task manually in order to shut it down. It will NOT respond and it does not import.

Once Captivate has been shut down manually, I can reopen it and it reacts normally again...until I try to import PPT. Is anyone having the same issue or does anyone know what might be happening?

TOPICS
Import export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.  Right now I have the luxury of having a Macintosh that we are piloting.  I have more success on the Mac with importing the same file.  The feedback is awful in the process.  Just sits there frozen, I think it would be a good idea to at least have a cancel button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a problem trying to just import any PPTX file. Captivate doesn't freeze on me but it says not enough memory...blah, blah, blah. I thought this would not be an issue anymore but it seems to still be a problem even in the new Captivate. Even if I close programs (although memory is NOT a problem on my computer), it doesn't make a difference. It will import a PPT but not a PPTX and, yes, I have PowerPoint 2016 on my computer.

Anyone else able to import a PPTX into Captivate? I can create the slides from scratch in Captivate if needed but a feature should work if it's part of the software.

Regards,

Stephanie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PPTX has always been a problem.  Just go with PPT.  Save the PPTX to PPT and import that.  Better still forget PPT at all and just build from scratch in Captivate if at all possible.  You'll have a lot better result overall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me! Thank you, Rod!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is driving me insane!  I can not use PowerPoint with Captivate anymore....it is almost getting to point where i can't use captivate at all.  This is a serious problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understand your viewpoint but if you only want to use a PPT to create a HTML presentation, you'd better use one of the PPT plugins. If you really want to create engaging eLearning, you can unzip the PPT (it is really a zipped folder), import the assets into the Library of a Captivate project and create from scratch. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if i have to do all that you said...then why would i even use Captivate at all?  Many eLearning packages work with PowerPoint seamlessly...so why would i consider doing anything less?  Earlier versions of Captivate worked with PP just fine....why now is there a problem.  And i say problem loosely....it is a major problem!  If an app can't work with PP to do eLearning...That apps days are numbered.

I can get far less expensive tools to work with PP...and i don't have to create from scratch. LOL...i have done from scratch my whole life...I bought Captivate to NOT CREATE FROM SCRATCH.

But thanks for you insights....i am sure you meant well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My answer was based on decades of experience as presenter (even before PPT exists when we had much better tools) and trainer/professor. I don't like to use a screw driver to drill a hole when I have a good Makita drilling machine.

You can tell Adobe that Captivate is doomed to disappear, hear that since a long time but it didn't happen. On the contrary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My reply is based on decades of experience.  Unfortunately this is not a debate.  It is a fact.  Adobe users expect more from Captivate. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob,

Just out of curiosity, are you saving your PowerPoint deck as a PPT before importing it into Captivate, or expecting it to work as a PPTX?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have tried both.  both don't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  Have you tried just opening a new PPT in Powerpoint, adding no content, and then attempting to import that into Captivate?  If that works it would suggest that the most likely reason for your issue is that there is some component in your PPT deck that is either corrupted or else is not compatible with Captivate's output.  You can usually then use a process of elimination to isolate the slide or slides that are causing the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You Rod!  i agree there is something in the PP that is not working well with Captivate.  Only problem is that my SME won't let me modify their PP.  They want it AS IS.  Articulate Storyline seems to be the best app.  Little slow....but works PERFECT with PP's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. I assume then that you've tested and found that the same PPT deck can be imported into Storyline without issue?

And since you're an experienced user you would already know that once you import your SME's PPT deck into Storyline you cannot then export it back out as a PPT again.  It's a one way trip.  Captivate will 'round-trip' so that the original PPT can later be edited again. 

These differences are not a problem for most people, but important to note.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save the powerpoint file on your desktop and try then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2019 Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That didn't work too. Enter trouble right out of the box very disappointing software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What worked for me:

Error Messages: Not Enough memory, File Corrupted, Unable to Import...

1) I launched MS PowerPoint in Safe Mode (Control Key + Click App) I did not open the presentation.

2) Open Captivate 2017 normally.

3) New Project From MS PowerPoint and Import the PowerPoint (PPTX)

Note: It didn't matter if Captivate was already open, what did the trick, was to open MS PowerPoint in safe mode and leave it open.

I don't know what the actual problem is, but I think it has something to do with Captivate accessing PowerPoint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked for me as well as making the file a .ppt rather than a .pptx. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources