Highlighted

Issue with Multiple Quiz Attempts

Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to work out an issue with multiple quiz attempts, and am hoping that some of you more experienced Captivate users can help me out.

We want to have our courses set up so that users have the ability to attempt a scored quiz twice before they are prevented from trying again. I've configured the 'Quiz' options in Captivate towards this end, and have our courses uploaded to an LMS. When a user stays within the course, the functionality works as expected-- if they fail the course once, they are given the chance to retake the quiz for a second time before receiving a 'final' failing grade. However, if a user fails the quiz once and then exits the course before their second attempt, then they are given a failing score. At that point, the course is locked in the LMS and a user does not have the ability to re-launch it to retake the final quiz.

I've reached out to our LMS (eLogic's 'eSSential' platform). At first they told me that what we're trying to do isn't possible on their LMS, but then later another support worker indicated that it definitely is possible but the problem is with our course configuration and not the LMS. The LMS does offer a multitude of SCORM reporting configuration options, but I've played with everything that seems relevant and haven't been able to get things working as hoped.

I'm left unsure if the issue is with my configuration through Captivate or not. Any assistance one could offer would be appreciated. I've tried searching through the forums and I've come up with some information regarding the details of SCORM reporting, but I'm still not quite sure where the disconnect is. I'm using Captivate 2017, Publishing as HTML5 with the SCORM 2004 standard. I tried attaching screen captures of my specific settings, but I'm being told that the file types are 'forbidden' (I tried both .JPGs and .PNGs, well under the size limit, and I've had no issues with attaching images before). I can type out my settings if needed.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Issue with Multiple Quiz Attempts

Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to work out an issue with multiple quiz attempts, and am hoping that some of you more experienced Captivate users can help me out.

We want to have our courses set up so that users have the ability to attempt a scored quiz twice before they are prevented from trying again. I've configured the 'Quiz' options in Captivate towards this end, and have our courses uploaded to an LMS. When a user stays within the course, the functionality works as expected-- if they fail the course once, they are given the chance to retake the quiz for a second time before receiving a 'final' failing grade. However, if a user fails the quiz once and then exits the course before their second attempt, then they are given a failing score. At that point, the course is locked in the LMS and a user does not have the ability to re-launch it to retake the final quiz.

I've reached out to our LMS (eLogic's 'eSSential' platform). At first they told me that what we're trying to do isn't possible on their LMS, but then later another support worker indicated that it definitely is possible but the problem is with our course configuration and not the LMS. The LMS does offer a multitude of SCORM reporting configuration options, but I've played with everything that seems relevant and haven't been able to get things working as hoped.

I'm left unsure if the issue is with my configuration through Captivate or not. Any assistance one could offer would be appreciated. I've tried searching through the forums and I've come up with some information regarding the details of SCORM reporting, but I'm still not quite sure where the disconnect is. I'm using Captivate 2017, Publishing as HTML5 with the SCORM 2004 standard. I tried attaching screen captures of my specific settings, but I'm being told that the file types are 'forbidden' (I tried both .JPGs and .PNGs, well under the size limit, and I've had no issues with attaching images before). I can type out my settings if needed.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 22, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There seems to be a random bug with the forum software at present that will sometimes prevent posting images.  I struck the same issue last week and then later it allowed me.  Hopefully this will get fixed in time.

Regarding your issue with the LMS: Could you check in your Quiz > Reporting > Advanced settings to see if you have Never Send Resume Data UNCHECKED?  If this box is checked it will mean LMS Resume Data bookmarking is turned off.  From your description of what you want to happen, you really need bookmarking turned on so that the learner can exit their session before completing their quiz and then come back to it later (resume) without having the module marked as failed.

The thing you need to remember about quizzing inside Captivate SCORM modules is that the number of ATTEMPTS you are seeing recorded on the Quiz Result slide is for what is happening INSIDE the module during that particular user session.  When the LMS is displaying attempts for the same module it often has a very different view because it may be looking at how many times the module was launched from the LMS, not how many attempts the user made on the quiz inside that module.  This is something you need to check with your LMS people.  There are hundreds of LMSs on the market and they all have a different view of the SCORM world.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 22, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rod--

Thanks for the speedy reply. I do currently have my courses configured with the 'Never Send Resume Data' option unchecked. At this time all my Advanced settings are Captivate's defaults, so 'Send Data On Every Slide' and 'Set exit to normal after completion' are also unchecked, with only 'Escape Version and Session ID' checked.

I should've mentioned that I have tested out opening courses up, closing them midstream, and then resuming them. This works as expected-- I am put back on the same slide as when I exited-- just as long as the final quiz has not yet been completed.

I do understand that there are likely large discrepancies between how different LMS's treat SCORM reporting. I also hear what you're saying about 'Attempts' meaning different things. Currently my courses will properly give the user two attempts as long as the course is not closed after an initial failure; the LMS doesn't bar someone from reopening a course multiple times given that they haven't taken the final quiz, but if the course is closed after one failure then things are locked beyond that point.

My feeling was that our LMS should be helping me troubleshoot this more, and was a little frustrated that they denied the LMS having any potential role in the issue. Instead, they offered to look at our courses' "source code", but for a fee. We've had other concerns about the LMS and the support (or lack thereof) that we've received, so I was reluctant to just take their word for it and fork over extra money.

Thanks,

-Joseph

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 23, 2018 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see Rod mentioning this. Why do you not try it out on SCORM Cloud? If it works correctly there, you go back to the LMS people and show them it is not due to Captivate because SCORM Cloud is THE standard for SCORM courses.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 23, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Lieve--

Thanks for the consideration. Although I've used SCORM Cloud in the past, it had slipped my mind to try it in this context. I did some testing, and actually found the same behavior on SCORM Cloud that has been happening through the LMS. So it must be something that I've configured incorrectly after all.

I tried finding a comprehensive collection of information about Captivate's Quiz and Reporting settings, to try troubleshooting this on my own, but apparently the only option is search through the forums for help? I was thinking there was a more standard Help document for Captivate, but I must've hallucinated it. Without that, it's a bit difficult to figure out where I'm going wrong.

Direct image attachments still aren't working for me, but it looks like I can use the option to attach them from the Web. Here are what I'm assuming are the most relevant settings:

9XwVtaB.jpg

CsS2zmg.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 23, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I take it back-- I found the .PDF help document (Google was more helpful than Adobe). I'm looking through it now to try and figure this out on my own, but I also wouldn't be upset if someone else already has the answer. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 23, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing I just thought of, what setting do you have for Quiz > Settings > Required drop down?  If it's not set to Optional, try using that and republishing to test.  Sometimes you will find the quiz gets locked if the Required setting is set to something very strict.

You should also turn on Send Data on Every Slide to see if that helps.

Also, on looking at your original description I realised that you talk about the user abandoning the session after failing their first quiz attempt, but NOT before initiating a new attempt by clicking the Retake Quiz button, and the course is then reporting a failure to the LMS.  This would actually be normal behaviour as far as I am aware.  Basically what is happening there is that the Captivate module has reached the Quiz Result slide and the learner has opted NOT to reattempt, so if they terminate the session at that point then SCORM would believe the learner has decided they are perfectly happy to report a failure score.  You have the Success criteria set to require them to pass the Quiz.  If they terminate at the Quiz Result slide without having achieved a passing score then that will report a failure.

If the LMS allows them to relaunch the module again (because you have allowed more than one attempt at the LMS level) then they should be able to reattempt the quiz again.   Try the amended settings I suggest above and see what happens.  If SCORM Cloud has shown similar behaviour to your own LMS then it would tend to indicate something is not set up correctly within the Captivate module.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 23, 2018 0
VickieM LATEST
Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joseph,

Suggestions:

You may have tried this already, but there could possibly be an issue with using SCORM 2004 rather than SCORM 1.2.  Even though the LMS you are currently using supports SCORM 2004, try using SCORM 1.2 and see if you get similar results. 

Also if it is not necessary to allow only 2 attempts, try increasing the number of attempts the user has or setting to Infinite Attempts. This is just to see if you get the results you are currently having. 

One last suggestion:  If you haven’t already, you may also want to take look at the following resource below. It could offer you more information.

Upload an Adobe Captivate Project to a Learning Management System

Thanks 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 26, 2018 0