Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

JavaScript Capabilities

New Here ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

We have a customer asking for a unique function in their exams we're building in Captivate 2019. I have a few programmers thinking through what it'll take to get done. They are coming to the same question that I can't answer and wanted to ask if anyone has dealt with this idea (or a similar one) before going to Adobe Support.

We are building an exam template for the exams that accompany their online training courses. We are building it in Captivate so that we can continue to use the common variables for xAPI statement purposes. Just about all of the functionality they are looking for can be tackled with the standard interactions (bookmarking, notes, etc.), but there are a couple that are outside its standard capabilities.

They want the ability to have their students measure an object within an image file displayed in (or next to) the question. I originally expected to be creating rulers using a drag n drop interaction that would allow the student to drag them to the proper area and read the ruler, but they are looking for something that is a bit more advanced (and consequently more difficult to develop).

Starting with the display aspect, they want to have an image file be displayed that does not display entirely at once. It would be "scrollable" left-and-right with a slide bar controlling where in the image file they are looking. The student then engages the measuring tool (presumably by clicking a button), which allows them to drop a marker at Location 1, move the slide bar so they can see where the measurement should end (Location 2), click Location 2, and get a measurement in inches. (Sidenote: I recognize that the measurement output would be standardized and not correspond to what they would get measuring the area on their monitor with a ruler. We are simply looking to familiarize them with using this type of measuring tool, which is analogous to the equipment to be used in the field).

They need to be able to measure in as many directions as necessary, and then choose the correct answer (we have the question part covered, we're focused on figuring out how we provide the student the ability to get the proper measurements). And, of course, we may need a closing action to get it off the screen.

The last big picture necessity is that their students are able to see the question and answer choices alongside the measurement tool without having to click back and forth between tabs. We have preliminarily solved this by intending to create the Captivate file (and Multiple Choice Master Slide) with dimensions of about 1920 x 1080, with the question and answers on the left, and all reference materials and tools to display on the right programmed to buttons to display/close them. Ideally the image and measuring tool would be contained within the proper Fluid Box (in template attached, it's FB below the buttons on the right with the placeholder text). However, we recognize that this might not be possible and would be open to a popup window, iFrame, etc if necessary.

So far the programmers I have spoken with have the same question: Can we get our hands on the Captivate documentation about their JavaScript API so we can determine if we'll be able to let the student interact with the objects like they need to?

If anyone has dealt with this, could point me to the documentation to provide them, or has another approach from what appears to be the Let's Do It With JavaScript path, I would appreciate points of view to make sure we start in the right direction on this. Thanks!

Chris Black
CB4@industryacademy.com
TOPICS
Project upgrade

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?