Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

'Jump to slide' not working

New Here ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello -

I have a 'jump to slide' action that isn't working. It's grouped with my navigation buttons. The button works correctly when I'm previewing a few screens, but when I view the whole course, it stops jumping to slide 20 and just moves to the next slide.

What the heck am I doing wrong?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Many possibilities. Jump to is a very simple command. Is there anything preventing free navigation? If you have a quiz, you'll have to look at the Quiz Preferences: do you allow Backwards movement, do you have Pretest slides, did you activate the option 'Branch aware'?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many possibilities. Jump to is a very simple command. Is there anything preventing free navigation? If you have a quiz, you'll have to look at the Quiz Preferences: do you allow Backwards movement, do you have Pretest slides, did you activate the option 'Branch aware'?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Branch aware solved things! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quickly, solved! You're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If quiz is required, does that mean that my jump to content pages cannot be placed after the quiz pages? Branch Aware and Allow Backward Movement are not checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They can be placed after the quiz slides. But often the logical sequence is to have first the content slides visited, then the quiz. In that case you need to allow Backwards movement in Quiz Preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried repositioning the quiz slides before the jump to slides. Captivate auto-updated the jump-to-slide numbers as expected; however, when I previewed the slides, the buttons on the content page that when clicked, should go to the jump-to slides (now positioned after the quiz slides) no longer work. If this change was a "must have," my next step would have been to completely rebuild the slide with the buttons used to jump. I also tried closing the project and clearing the cache, but no luck. 

I'll try it on a new/blank project at some later time. This project is built relatively straight forward, but has developed some weird bugs along the way. For example, whenever I close the project and reopen it, text disappears, text on buttons disappear, links are broken. I have to revisit every page and click text boxes and buttons to fix them, and re-link broken links. Thank goodness it doesn't have many pages! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mention that the content pages are placed AFTER the quiz, but does that mean you placed them after the Quiz Results slide?

Also, what value do you have selected for the Quiz > Settings > Required drop down menu.  That can also greatly affect whether or not you can do what you are attempting here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the content pages are placed after the quiz and the quiz results page. Quiz >Settings>Required is set at Pass Required - The user must pass this quiz to continue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That may be cause of your problems, reset the Required option. There are other ways to prevent the learner from continuing to more content slides if the quiz is failed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Having the quiz and results slides are the cause of the problem, but look at the options: 

1. Optional - user can skip this quiz

2. Required - user must take quiz to continue

3. Required - user must pass quiz to continue

4. Answer all - user must answer every question to continue

If the user takes the quiz, all content slides, including the jump-to slides will be visited before the quiz is taken. To make this work, the slides have to be in the following order:

Slides 1-16 are content slides

Slides 17-33 are the jump-to slides (user jumps to one of these from a content slide, reads the information and then jumps back to the content slide)

Slides  34-45 are quiz slides

The true issue, as I see it, is that the course navigation has to be accessibility compliant. My client wants a standard Captivate playbar (forward/back/pause/audio/cc/TOC) as well as the ability to use the forward/back arrows on keyboard to navigate. Consequently, on the last page of content (p 16) i have to remove the playbar and put a custom button on the page ("Click to begin quiz"). Otherwise, the Next arrow on the playbar goes to slide 17, which is one of the jump-to slides. Can't have that.

So, it is what it is... It's a little clunky, but it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources