• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Jumping Buttons - Captivate 2019 -- Will Lock Size and Position Correct The Jump?

Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Adobe Captivate, 2019 release, v11.0.1.2.66, on a Windows computer.

I have a resized (blank) project which has 'jumping buttons'.

The original project was created using 1024x627, white theme.  This project does not have 'jumping buttons' when viewing in MS Edge or IE11 (required by the customer).

As we wanted more 'space' for videos (which have not been added yet), the project was resized to 1280x720.  This size was chosen after reading Captivate forum comments about resizing.

The buttons were obtained from "Get Free eLearning Assets", Template, Buttons, Tech: Captivate Buttons, as well as buttons we added (Interactions, Button) and SmartShape (use as button).  Buttons appearing on graphics do not seem to 'jump'.

Buttons on our Knowledge Check pages do not jump.  We do not have any Quizes in this project.

If we place the input cursor in the center of the button, it does not jump (do not know how many pixels are involved in making it not jump).  The size of the buttons is approximately 56x56.

The navigation buttons are located at the top-right and bottom-right of the slide.  Other buttons are located at various points within the slide(s).  There are approximately 300 buttons in the project.

Will selecting, in the Object State for both Normal and Roll Over, in the Transform section select Lock Size and Position correct this (so they do not jump)?

Thank you. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

You can create any button using a shape, inserting an image. I never use assets for that purpose, but that is your choice. I can only recommend to check the version of the created assets: never use them for a more recent version to avoid issues. Be also careful with themes!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jumping buttons existed in CP9.  I never experienced them in CP2017 nor CP2019.  I wonder if the assests which you downloaded were developed for the version you are using?

Are you talking about a responsive or a non-responsive project? The White theme was a responsive theme, but you can have used it as a non-responsive.

KC slides are also based on quizzing master slides whiere the buttons are embedded, they have no individual timeline.

You didn't specifu exactly how you rescaled the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As for locking: the Rollover and Down have automatically a locked state for size and position.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your timely response.

The project is a 'blank' project.

I resized the project following the instructions from:  Re-sizing Adobe Captivate projects.  As stated earlier, we went from 1024x627 to 1280x720.

=====

You can resize Adobe Captivate projects, even after you have recorded them. Resizing can save you from having to rerecord an entire project. For example, suppose you record your project at a width of 640 and height of 480, but then decided you need a slightly smaller or larger size.

Resizing a project cannot be “undone” with a toolbar button or key combination such as Control+Z.

Resizing a project numerous times can result in quality deterioration. As far as possible, try to resize a project only once.

Resize a project                

•                         
    In an open project, select Modify > Rescale Project.

•                         
    Under Size, enter an exact custom size in pixels in the Width and Height text boxes (minimum size 100 x 100). Alternatively, enter a percentage for width and height, with the current size being 100%. (For example, to make the project slightly bigger, enter 110%; to make the project much smaller, enter 50%.) You can also select the Preset Size option and choose a commonly used size, such as 640 x 480, from the pop-up menu.If you want, select the Maintain Aspect Ratio option, which maintains the height and width proportions when the image is resized. This option ensures that the image is displayed accurately and is not distorted.

•                         
    If you want to choose from a standard set of sizes, select Preset Size, and choose from the options.

•                         
    You have different options depending on whether the new size you specified is larger or smaller than the original size.

Rescale Project To Fit New Size

•                         
    Click Finish.

=====

I checked the "Get Free eLearning Assets", Template, Buttons, Tech: Captivate Buttons, #9215415 and it is a Captivate 9 Responsive Template file.

Thank you for your assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eLearning Brothers don't give 'templates' which are cptl files, but normal cptx files. There is a problem with their terminology.

I suspect strongly that the fact that these assets were developed for CP9 is the cause, because that is the version which had 'jumping button' issues.  It often happens that upgrading over so many versions leads to problems. Do you really need those button assets?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, thank you for your feedback.

Do I really need those button assets?  I prefer those types of buttons rather than the button provided by Captivate.  I hope I said that correctly.

I did go back to the pre-resized project and the buttons did not 'jump'.  We used the "Get Free eLearning Assets", Template, Buttons, Tech: Captivate Buttons in the pre-resized project.

Bottom line is we are going back and using the 'smaller' project (1280x720), when published there are no jumping buttons.

Next time we make a 'new' project, we will make it the larger size, and hopefully the assets will not jump around.

I appreciate your time and knowledge-sharing with this topic.

Respectfully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create any button using a shape, inserting an image. I never use assets for that purpose, but that is your choice. I can only recommend to check the version of the created assets: never use them for a more recent version to avoid issues. Be also careful with themes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once again I thank you for your words of wisdom.  I appreciate your time and patience with this thread.

Respectfully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for being so polite! It is always refreshing to be treated well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources