Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Jumping to a place in the timeline when revisiting a slide

Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi group.

I have an advanced action that is used to stop the playback of audio when returning to a slide.There are certain points in the audio of the slide where buttons appear. When I return to the slide, I want the buttons to automatically show instead of waiting until their appearance on the timeline. I got the audio part to work fine, so when I return to the slide the audio doesn't playback. But the buttons are still not appearing until their appointed time on the timeline. I tried using another Assign item to set the variable GoToFrame to a point after the buttons appear on the timeline, but it's not working. Anything else I could try? I've included screens of my conditional action below. Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

There is a big difference between Pausing the timeline with a Pause command or the button on the playbar and having a pausing point, because items are not affected the same way. A pausing point is meant to stop the playhead until an action by the learner is done, for a button that means a click on the button.  

In your case, still do not understand the meaning of the third 'Continue button'? Which action is it triggering? If it is simply to continue, why do you stop the playhead at that moment? N

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly described that situation in two recent blog posts:

Play Audio once on First Visit - Captivate blog

Advanced to Shared Action: Step-By-Step (micro-navigation showcase) - Captivate blog

I preferred a shared action as you will see because it also allows to solve a similar problem (Force first view).

If you had shown a screenshot of the timeline, could have told you to which number you have to change the present '121". It needs to be just after the appearance of the last button. Try my shared action, you will not have to calculate the number of frames.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I'll take a loot at these, and in the mean time here's my timeline. The two items are labeled as buttons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you have staggered pausing points for those buttons? To be in the active part of the first button and the third buttons should already have appeared, you'll need to jump to about 4 seconds.

Do you understand how pausing points are used in the Timeline? Have lot of posts and movies published about that subject.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know exactly why I staggered the pause points like I did, and yes I figured I'd want to jump to the 4 second mark as both buttons would be visible at that time. My question is regarding how to do just that on return to the slide. Do the staggered pause points have something to do with why what I'm trying is not working? If that's the case, I'd be grateful for that info as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To jump to 4 seconds, use the shared action I explained in those blog posts, please.

Have to know what those buttons are meant for? Which actions are triggered by them, do you have Continue playing project checked or not. Timeline is the first cause of many questions on the forums since always. Looks like most training lack to explain it. Even intermediate CP-users, as I experienced when presenting already 3 times about the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure thing. I'm still reading through and trying to grasp what you're explaining in the Shared Action blog. The two buttons are simply used to jump to particular slides that cover more content. On those slides, there's a "Back" button that returns me to the slide in question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start with the blog about the Play Audio, it explains the advanced action used, which was the base for the shared action.

You have 3 buttons, not 2.  I don't know what the third is meant for, but there is no reason whatsoever to have the pausing points at a different moment. Because it is a navigation outside of this slide it is not that important, but it told me that you are not aware of the importance of timing the pausing points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK my apologies...three buttons. Two are used to jump to specific slides to view content, and the third is an actual Continue button to move onto to the next bit of material (also has an action to jump to the slide directly after the slides used for the other two buttons) in this particular presentation. And I understand what pause points do. They pause the timeline. Sorry if I didn't make it clear that I understand what those mean. So since I don't understand apparently the importance of them, could you please advise? They're not important in this particular instance as we both agree. But maybe for the future so I end up knowing what I'm doing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a big difference between Pausing the timeline with a Pause command or the button on the playbar and having a pausing point, because items are not affected the same way. A pausing point is meant to stop the playhead until an action by the learner is done, for a button that means a click on the button.  

In your case, still do not understand the meaning of the third 'Continue button'? Which action is it triggering? If it is simply to continue, why do you stop the playhead at that moment? Nothing happens after the pausing point of that button? It will not even pause the slide audio, unless you activate that option. 

Watch a couple movies:

Captivate's Timeline

Pause and Pausing Point

Read this blog post (you'll find links to more Timeline articles):

Pausing Captivate's Timeline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources