Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Learner Quiz Answers Contain %20 when published xAPI

Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2018 Aug 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have unwanted characters showing up within the Quiz responses when publishing quizzes xAPI in Captivate 2017.

Within the answer selections to choose from, there are spaces within the answers.  Example quiz question setup:

Q. Which activity do you like to do in the morning?

1. Take a nice walk

2. Go for a swim

When I publish Captivate xAPI to an external LRS and view the xAPI Activity Statement, everywhere within the response wording where there was once a space, a %20 was substituted.  It does not insert %20 within the question wording itself, just the response wording.

Here's what I get:

"success": true,

"response": "urn:scormdriver:All%20of%20the%20above"

Here is what I want:

"response": "All of the above"

How do I get Captivate to NOT INSERT  urn:scormdriver: AND %20 in the response?  I cannot give this to my client without cleanup work.

Any guidance around this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Sharon

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Your text is being URL encoded. A lot of text passed back and forth to servers have this done, so special characters that could mean something different to a server will be replaced with "code". This helps prevent errors on the server side

This might not be a huge issue, the URL encoding could be reverted back to normal text when the server runs a report/displays the data. If it is not done automatically, there are commands in most programming languages to convert this, so it should not be hard f

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2018 Aug 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sharon,

Look at the xAPI Prototypes at xAPI.com. You might find the prototypes helpful and they may give more insight.  The information might guide you in the direction of resolving your issue.

xAPI Information about the Prototypes

xAPI Prototypes

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.  Thank you for replying. Unfortunately I don't see anything that would solution this. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your text is being URL encoded. A lot of text passed back and forth to servers have this done, so special characters that could mean something different to a server will be replaced with "code". This helps prevent errors on the server side

This might not be a huge issue, the URL encoding could be reverted back to normal text when the server runs a report/displays the data. If it is not done automatically, there are commands in most programming languages to convert this, so it should not be hard for the person generating reports to add that functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Thank you for that info.  If I am understanding you correctly, I should go to my LRS and see if they can convert it to normal text?  It's worth a shot and if correct, I will let you and everyone else know.

-Sharon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. Or even pull a report and see if it is automatically corrected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Chris,

I contacted my LRS folks and you were correct.  Here was their response, "The way xAPI defines
question statements is that the response and the correctResponsepattern
properties (the two you highlighted) use ids for the response. The statement is
then also supposed to contain a map of ids to the actual responses in plain
text (potentially in multiple languages). For multiple choice questions, the
map is included in a property called "choices". However, the choices
property is optional (because not every xAPI statement is a multiple choice
question), and Captivate does not include it." 

My LRS folks provided a fix for me to implement in the coding.  Thank you for steering me in the right direction.  This problem is now resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources