• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Link to external URL won't work...why?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2012 Oct 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should be the easiest thing to do, right?....

I have an ordinary button labeled "Start"  In the button's properties:

Action>On Success: Open URL or file

http://www.dgs.ca.gov/orim/Programs/DDTOnlineTraining.aspx

Attempts: Infinite

It won't do anything when clicked.  No error, no nothing.  The URL is good and works in my browser.  I've tried the "Current, New and Parent" settings also, but no difference.  

The published files are located on our LAN. Could that be an issue? 

TOPICS
Editing , Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Perhaps check this link:

Click here to view

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, I looked all thru that and it doesn't seem to have the answer I need.  Anyone else?

And how the heck did Adobe get all the way to version 5.5 without fixing such a basic thing?? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ummm, I pointed you to the exact section you likely need. The section that discusses Flash Global Security settings. The Flash Player often blocks links of this type until you configure your PC to explicitly allow them.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I read that, but I don't see how modifying player settings on my pc will solve the problem for any of my users.  The link doesn't work for me or for others who have tried it on different computers.  What am I missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, first things first.

You are saying that you have adjusted the Global Security Settings for your PC, tested and it *STILL* fails? I'd have to say I've not seen that but it's possible.

Assuming you adjust the settings and it then begins working, the next task is how to address for your users. Certainly asking each of them to adjust their own Flash Player settings isn't optimal.

I'm not supposing that it's possible to host the content on a web server? (Internal or Intranet) If not, I'm given to understand that if you simply point the users to an HTML page that subsequently links to the HTML page hosting your Captivate content, that things may work. I don't have access to internal servers so am unable to test that.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes this is correct:

"You are saying that you have adjusted the Global Security Settings for your PC, tested and it *STILL* fails? I'd have to say I've not seen that but it's possible."

I don't have any other place to host it.  Our LAN was a last resort. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try enabling the Full Screen option and see if that makes a difference. When you use this option you get two HTML pages. One opens and has a link to open the other. If what Rod Ward suggests is true and I've understood his suggestions properly, I would expect this to allow the link to work because you opened the Captivate from an HTML page.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2012 Oct 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show us a screenshot of your Flash Global Security settings where you say you've set your LAN as a trusted location?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just found something interesting.

We have a link from our intranet to the CP page I made on our LAN.  The troublesome button link is on the CP page.

When I launch the CP page from our intranet, the path is this:

\\accounts\dars\ORPPA\Training and Program Development\Online Training\homepage.htm

If I open that exact same file in the same location, but go directly to the LAN instead of thru the intranet the path is this:

S:\ORPPA\Training and Program Development\Online Training\homepage.htm

It's a network location that is mapped on my pc.

My button link does not work when using the first method, but it DOES work when using the second method.  Makes no sense to me because once you're at the CP page, you are viewing  the same file in the same location, only the route that you took to get there is different.

Ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you set up your Flash Global Security setting, did you enter the path to the publish folder in a particular format?

Can you show us a screenshot of your Flash security dialog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2012 Oct 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

settings.jpg

THe root of the C drive is also included at the top of this list. did i get it right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2012 Oct 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enabling full screen mode seems to have fixed it!  I still need to have other users test it tho to  be sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2012 Nov 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I've had some other users test it and it still does NOT work!  Only works on my pc.

THe other users are getting the "Adobe Flash player has stopped a potentially unsafe operation" message. Clicking "OK" did not let the link work. 

I can't have all my users change their security settings.  THere is NO way they can handle that and management would get upset.  My boss is pressuring me to make this link work.  And we will have other similar links to add soon.

I have no idea what to do now.  any help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2012 Nov 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the screenshot that you included a couple of posts ago, which of the links shown was the one that was NOT working?

If it was the third one listed (...homepage.htm) this was on a LAN server.  In this case all users WOULD need to add this to their Flash Global Security settings in order to work, which I agree is NOT going to happen. 

If it was the last link shown (...DDTOnlineTraining.aspx), this is obviously a web server and end users would NOT need to make any changes to Flash Global Security to have the link work.  If the link is NOT currently working then something else other than Flash security is likely preventing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2012 Nov 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes it is the last link shown.   The users get the flash security warning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2012 Nov 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  Then something else IS definitely going on.  My guess would be that the DDTOnlineTraining.aspx file is actually calling the content from a LAN server and not another page on the web server.  That's the only reason I can think of that your end users would be seeing a Flash Security warning.  I've NEVER seen this type of warning for Captivate content that WAS being served up from an actual web server.

Try to get someone from your IT department to investigate this ASPX file and see if it is pointing to content on a LAN.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2019 Apr 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same problem in the current version of Adobe Captivate and was able to fix it by making the link open in a new tab, as opposed to the current tab. The LMS likely does not want to open the link in the same tab as the course, so I think this is part of the issue.

When you add the link in the action (this is assuming you are using a button—I have not tried this with a regular hyperlink), click on the little dropbox next to the link. Click "new." Then unclick "Continue Playing the Project."

This worked for me. Let me know how it turns out for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources