Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linking LMS to Cascade

New Here ,
Jul 16, 2019 Jul 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When running our e-learning we do so through the LMS on our intranet. We maintain training records on a separate HR system, Cascade. Cascade will not automatically import information from any system at present so we are looking to export a file from the LMS and import it into Cascade.

My Captivate question is this. I need a way to get a unique identifier into the information being exported from the LMS so that Cascade can put it in the right place. I have tested a text entry box, but this doesn't seem reportable. Does anyone know a way around this or have a better idea? Any help much appreciated.

Short version is I want someone to be able to enter an employee ID into their exercise in Captivate and have it reported in the data exported from the LMS.

I should add, if it isn't obvious, that my level of Captivate knowledge is limited.

Kind regards

Patrick

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 17, 2019 Jul 17, 2019

As I said above, a TEB can only be included in the Quiz if you turn on Validation of the answers so that they can be either correct or incorrect.  So just select the TEB and then look for the checkbox for Validate User Input in the Properties tab > Style section.  Once you select the option, look right at the bottom of the Actions section for the Include in Quiz option.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Jul 16, 2019 Jul 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Patrick.

Step 1:  issue the exit command on the last slide.  Actions-->On exit: exit

Make sure that Edit --> Preference  --> Quiz  put a checkmark on Enable reporting for this project, them complete the

Completion Criteria and Success Criteria, click ok

In addition, make sure to set the setting for SCORM,  scorm 1.2 or scorm 2004 under Standard click the dropdown menu.

Step 2: Publish to my computer as zip files.

Upload the zip files to the lms. (the lms must be scorm compliance)

Step 3: Register the user that are going to be using the learning module in the lms.

When you assign a user to the learning module all that information is send to the database.

When a user login to the lms he/she enter their credential, those credential are already in the database, the additional information that is added is the score. Now you have user name, score, date ...etc . You can do whatever you want with the data, eg: create a report

Another solution is to query the data out the database, now you can do whatever you want with that data.

What is the name of the lms.

Luis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2019 Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Luis,

Thanks for taking the time to answer. The LMS we use is Claromentis and is part of the intranet we use. Reporting hasn't been a problem with quiz content reported to the LMS using SCORM. The LMS is configured to share some information, but this doesn't currently include the employee number which would be a unique identifier. The records exported will show a pass for John Smith, but not which one where we have more than one. The workaround I am attempting is to see if someone could enter a unique identifier into the test which would then be included in the information reported. The reports can currently show which questions were answered and answers provided so surely it is possible to enter something that would be reported on completion.

Any advice gratefully received

Kind regards

Patrick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've not faced exactly the problem you describe but I have a couple of suggestions.

Captivate has two default User Variables that are meant to automatically pick up some basic data from the LMS to identify the student.  One is called cpQuizInfoStudentID, which is meant to be the unique identifier of the user as logged in the LMS database when they log on to take a course, and the other is cpQuizInfoStudentName which is the name of the student, usually shown as Smith, John or John Smith and this is also taken from the LMS database.

I would suggest you check your LMS to see if the unique identifier it uses for the student also happens to be their employee number.  If so, then you might be on a winner.  Your next step would be to see if your chosen LMS is populating these User Variables with the correct values.  If it is, then theoretically they should be stored somewhere along with the course data.

Alternatively, another way you might achieve the goal is to get the user themselves to enter their employee number into a Text Entry Box and set this TEB to report to the quiz but with a score of 0 so that the user is not penalised for giving an incorrect answer (because you won't be able to validate their answer beforehand as correct and only validated TEBs can report to the quiz).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod,

Thanks for your answer, that is helpful. I will pass the detail about identifiers to our tech guys to investigate. Our challenge is that the 2 systems, Intranet (LMS) and Cascade were created at different times and there are inconsistencies between the 2 in name. Employee number was created as a new field and assigned in Cascade and to my knowledge doesn't exist in the LMS, it is useful though to investigate whether this can be added retrospectively.

The Text Entry Box route was the one I was trying. I don't know if it just a setting that I have applied elsewhere in the quiz preferences, but when I use the Properties inspector for the TEB under "Actions" the "Include in Quiz" option is greyed out.

Any thoughts on this?

Kind regards

Patrick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said above, a TEB can only be included in the Quiz if you turn on Validation of the answers so that they can be either correct or incorrect.  So just select the TEB and then look for the checkbox for Validate User Input in the Properties tab > Style section.  Once you select the option, look right at the bottom of the Actions section for the Include in Quiz option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your help Rod, very much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources