Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LMS marking courses as complete but they are not actually completed

Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2020 Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone

Hoping someone might be able to assist and help clarify things.

I am publishing a course with 6 quiz questions to my LMS (Oracle) using 1.2 SCORM.

When I test the course and assign it to myself and others, the course plays, however midway through if I leave the course, the LMS marks the course as complete instead of incomplete.

My publish settings are as follows:

Nella01_0-1595225058084.png

Nella01_1-1595225077691.png

Can any one help with what it is that I am getting wrong? The Oracle forums a colleague of mine has read said that it is all content related not LMS related.

Any help would be amazing. Due to security restrictions within the business I am unable to upload the project to scorm cloud, so I cannot test this option.

Thank you everyone.

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Escape version and session ID is not the setting I was referring to.  It's not related to scoring in any way and usually only applies to AICC courses, not SCORM. If that is the ONLY box selected on the dialog for LMS Advanced Settings then it would indicate that Resume Data Bookmarking should be currently working because to STOP the bookmarking you have to select the NEVER send resume data checkbox. 

As I said, the Pass Required setting is often misinterpreted.  You should still try changing t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2020 Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What settings are you using under the Advanced button for Resume Data Bookmarking?  If Never Send Resume Data is selected, try turning it off and retest.  Also try setting the Quiz Settings > Required drop-down to Optional instead of Pass Required.  This setting is often misinterpreted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod

Thanks so much for your reply.

The Resume Data Booking setting is set to "escape version and sessiosn ID"

With regards to the quiz setting I selected pass required because a 100% pass is required by the user as the course is about security within the business.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Escape version and session ID is not the setting I was referring to.  It's not related to scoring in any way and usually only applies to AICC courses, not SCORM. If that is the ONLY box selected on the dialog for LMS Advanced Settings then it would indicate that Resume Data Bookmarking should be currently working because to STOP the bookmarking you have to select the NEVER send resume data checkbox. 

As I said, the Pass Required setting is often misinterpreted.  You should still try changing the Quiz > Settings > Required dropdown setting to Optional because that is the safest setting for most LMSs.  Setting to Optional in no way prevents you from setting a 100% passing score to be required by the learner for the overall module quiz.  Setting this dropdown to User must pass the quiz to continue only affects the behaviour of the Continue button on the Quiz Results slide.  If the user reaches the Quiz Results slide and has NOT yet passed the quiz, the continue button will not work and they cannot progress beyond the Quiz Results slide. This can get you into a number of dead-end situations because the quiz result actions only fire when the timeline passes from the Quiz Results slide to the next slide AFTER that.

I have encountered some LMSs where we had to prevent the learner from completing the module unless they had passed the quiz, but these situations are rare.  From the description you gave, it seems your issue occurs well before you get to the Quiz Results slide.  Your LMS seems to be awarding completion based only on accessing the module, not whether or not a passing score was submitted (as would be indicated by your Quiz Settings).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod

Apologies I thought I had replied.

Thank you so much this worked 🙂

I have another course which I spent all day yesterday testing in the LMS. The course seems to as you said above award completion based on only accessing the module. This new course I am trying to upload does NOT have a quiz. However, I have been advised by Adobe that the Quiz settings still need to be set to record completion. I have done this, however, when I exit the course without completing / viewing all the slides, the course marks as completed in the LMS.

Is there any way someone might be able to help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some LMS vendors don't seem to understand why anyone would want to create a learning module and yet NOT include a quiz.  So they've designed their LMS to always expect some kind of scored objects.  You can usually satisfy these LMSs by simply including a button somewhere near the end of the course that the user is required to click in order to finish.  Make it obvious by the naming of the button that the user MUST click it.  Set this button to report a score to the Quiz.  That usually gets the desired result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rod.
I am still having the same issue that when exiting the course at slide 5 for example, the LMS still records the course as complete. Does this have to do with my Captivate settings?
The course seems to award completion based on only accessing the module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your Quiz Settings are still the same as those shown in your earlier screenshots then the LMS should only award completion when the quiz is passed.

I say again that the quickest way to prove that this issue is caused by your own LMS is to test the module on SCORM Cloud.  But you have said you cannot do that.  So, there's not really any more that I can suggest. 

Captivate's SCORM performance is very solid.  It uses Rustici SCORM drivers.  They are the people behind SCORM Cloud and the same drivers are used in many LMSs.  I strongly suspect your issue is on the LMS side, but your LMS people will be certain to blame your content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod
I completely understand what you are saying. I have just submitted a business case for the need to have access to scorm cloud, but this could take a while to be granted, if granted.

I have also taken into consideration your previous suggestion and have set the finish button to report a score to the quiz.

The only work around that I have so far, is to enable the skin editor/playbar on the project. When I exit the project halfway through using the skin editor/playbar exit button 'X' the progress is saved and results as incomplete on the LMS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One other thing you can try is to change over to SCORM 2004 instead of using SCORM 1.2.  With 1.2 there was only effectively a single variable that was supposed to track two separate things, success and completion.  This made things quite ambiguous and the people working on SCORM realised this and with SCORM 2004 they tracked success and completion as separate variables.  I'm wondering if your LMS behaves better on the later version than the earlier one.

Also make sure to check exactly how the LMS side of the equation is set up to record completion.  An LMS can often be set up to override what the SCORM module is telling it.  So, it could be that there is a setting somewhere buried in the LMS that is awarding completion based on access, even though the SCORM is telling it something different.

Just a thought...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources