Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Make a project more engaging

New Here ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Morning

I am working on a project (been asked to do a webinar using Captivate), so I am developing screens with narration so this can be published and accessed as and when.

The work I have done has been commented on as very like powerpoint rather than an interactive video.

Any advice on how I can make this more engaging, signpost to and tutorials etc.

Thanks, any help appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can read this post, which I created after a webinar for starters with Captivate interactions. This is based on that presentation, which means it is really more like PPT.

http://blog.lilybiri.com/interactivity-in-captivate-back-to-basics

By interactive video (which is a specific term explained in the previous link) you probably mean a fully interactive cptx, published to HTML5? Basic is: give as much control as possible to the learner, never force the learner (as too often happens) to do something but allow freedom to explore in any sequence, with some engaging knowledge check tests (not necessarily boring MCQ but think about games, gamificiation elements). Audio is very important. You don't need real professional voice over talents, but the tone of the audio is important, cannot be boring. Try to invoke emotions, empathy, reflections. Show what can lead to failures, bad practice (too often ignored) instead of just typical workflows. Arouse curiosity, use story telling. Be not afraid of telling about personal positive and negative experiences.

All what I wrote before is what you need in any type of training. Problem is that this is a lot more difficult to realize in an asynchronous setting (eLearning course) than in live F2F training. But even in the live training it is too often not the case as you also may have experienced in your formal education career. Remember those teachers which you still have in your memory and reflect why they 'remained' while others have disappeared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this all noted etc.

I need to create or publish this so it is delivered automatically without interaction from the learner.

Like a recorded webinar, so the screens run automatically with the narration.

I need to make the look and feel of the screens more engaging, any further info helpful.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is all about the skills of the presenter in that case, not a real eLearning course. Video of a lecture by a professor (university) will be as engaging or boring as the professor. Moreover it will lack all interactivity which makes it very challenging to be really engaging. 

All the recordings of the 2020 Adobe eLearning conference have just been taken out from the eLearning community. It would have been a good place for you to see that type of recordings, and judge their nature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

I'm trying to pull this together without using a video of a presenter using the screens and narration.

If I wanted to add a presenter delivering in the way suggested has this to be from a video uploaded or does captivate have this function?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Video Demo allows you to capture screen activity and your webcam at the same time. The simple editing features include the possibility to switch between the webcam part and the screen capture part. Green screening is included as well.

Not sure that this will be more engaging however.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The struggle here as I see it is that you've been asked to create a webinar without creating a webinar.

I get the impression that what you're really making is a video (passive) to look like it was a recorded webinar (also passive).

In my opinion, a true webinar is very engaging because it is happening live and participants are interacting in the chat, responding to polls, screen sharing, using voice communications, etc. They are actively involved with what is going on.

It is nice to go back and watch a recorded webinar if you missed it but also missing is all of the engagement... the chat is no longer live, the polls are over, you cannot share your thoughts with others via chat or voice... it becomes just another passive video with hopefully a decent presenter that keeps you from falling asleep. At this point you are just watching and absorbing.

You stated that people said your project looks like a PowerPoint rather than an interactive video which would imply that the stakeholders wish for something interactive but then you also stated that it needs to be delivered without interaction from the learner. Here lies the conflict. You can't have interaction without interaction.

I think the project team needs to better define the terms and scope of the project for clarity. What is exactly meant by engaging? If there is to be no interaction from the learner - does this mean it just looks better graphically or has some animations to provide a bit of "WOW" factor? As far as a recorded webinar goes (passive video), I agree with Lieve, it is only going to be as engaging as the presenter. Graphics and animations can help if timed properly with the audio but if you are using any sort of text to speech, you would have lost me in the first 10 seconds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for your reply which has in essence captured my turmoil.

Any pointers as to how I can add in anything to make this project look and feel less like powerpoint would be really helpful.

I am recording my own narration not text to speech.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Watch it like a learner should watch (or ask friends to do so).  The focus should be on the learner, not on the 'presenter'. Give as much control over the flow to the learner: a dashboard without imposed sequence, let them look for the best way. Allow to revisit parts, give them an easy way to do so (TOC could help with navigation enabled). Let them choose an avatar, add some gamification elements or even a game? Use Knowledge check slides which are engaging. Avoid to FORCE something! I mean by 'force' to allow proceeding only when something has been done. 

Avoid, what often happens also by bad presenters, to have audio which is just the same as the text showing up on the slide. That is OK for Closed captioning but is not wanted for non-disabled users. Avoid too much text and think about the saying 'Death by bullets'...  The UI should be clear (maybe clarify by an available Help accessible from any slide) but not boring. Have a look at the Quick Start Project in the Assets panel for ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources