• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Managing overlay player interface with branching?

Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I've created my own player bar since the out-of-the-box ones are mostly awful. This has all been done on the first screen of the course, and the player buttons are set to display on top of all other slide elements and persist until the end of the course. This appears to work great until I get to a branching slide. The branching is controlled from on-slide buttons. But on those slides I don't want the user to be able to click either the forward or back button on the player bar (depending on the slide they're on) because it will mess up the branching experience. I can't remove the forward or back button on those specific slides as they're persistent across the entire course. And I can't cover them up because they're set to appear in front of all on-slide elements. Is there a way I can accomplish what I need?

Thanks.

TOPICS
Branching

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

On your branching slides you could try to add an advanced action which hides the original contol buttons. On that particular slide only you could have new buttons which allow the use to move to branching slides. (The new buttons could look the same and occupy the same space as the orignial buttons) Then once this is achieved another advanced action could then show the original buttons.

Is this something that could help you?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On your branching slides you could try to add an advanced action which hides the original contol buttons. On that particular slide only you could have new buttons which allow the use to move to branching slides. (The new buttons could look the same and occupy the same space as the orignial buttons) Then once this is achieved another advanced action could then show the original buttons.

Is this something that could help you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't answer yet because I am not sure you did design a 'player bar' with the same functionality as the default playbars, or if you have just custom navigation buttons on the slides? For the last use case, I offered on ce a free shared action which allows you to hide/show group of navigation buttons on each slide. If you are interested, here is the blog post:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/shared-or-advanced-use-case-hide-slash-show-custom-navigation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are actually just custom navigation buttons on the slides masquerading as a bottom-screen player bar. They appear on the first slide and are set to be persistent across the entire course and to appear above all other on-slide elements.

I think your solution is exactly what I'm looking for. I will try it out. Thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, glad you found a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri, I thought this was the answer to my problem. However, I have been unable to get it to work. In my case, I just want a group of two buttons (that don't do anything) to appear atop the working navigation buttons, both graying them out and making them non-functional, on certain slides. This prevents them from going to a next slide or previous slide in a branching situation where the branching would be ruined otherwise. Rather than the Shared Advanced Action you suggested (and provided), I'm having better luck with plain-old Advanced Actions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about that. But be very careful with a big amout of advanced actions, at the end they may cripple your project. That is the main reason I will always use Shared actions when it is appropriate? They are more like multiple instances of the same action, and that makes the project lot smoother.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm curious to understand the exact implications. In the case of your Shared Action, setting the variable from 0 to 1 (and back again) from slide to slide had no rational effect. After multiple attempts, I gave up.

Instead, I created a group of two 90% transluscent "buttons" which essentially just appear atop the existing forward and back buttons on the navigation bar. This both blocks the actions of those buttons as well as "grays them out." As in your example, I placed them on the first slide, set to appear to the end of the presentation and on top.

Then I created two Advanced Actions - one to show these non-functional buttons (which counterintuitively "hides" the actual buttons I want to disable), and one to hide the non-functional buttons (allowing the full functionality of the nav bar). Each slide has an Enter On property that triggers either the "show" or "hide" action, allowing me to disable the forward/back buttons on the branching slides but enabling them everywhere else. Sadly I have to do this for each and every slide, just as in your example.

How does this approach differ from your Shared Advanced Action example regarding performance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Lot of what you do can cause problems for HTML output, and especially when
you want to use this solution on a Fluid Boxes project, where it would be
simply impossible. Having two interactive objects on the same location,
even when they do not appear at the same time, often is resulting in major
problems.

You must have misunderstood my workflow, I have double-checked it in all
circumstances and you could see that the shared action is rather
complicated for that reason.

As long as a workflow is functional, fine. However it is not an optimal
one, based on my years of experience with advanced and shared actions.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources