• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Manual entry of slide number to navigate to a particular slide in captivate 8.

New Here ,
Apr 30, 2019 Apr 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How could I manually enter a slide number in an empty box which will take me to an entered slide by using captivate 8? For example, if I enter 5 in an empty box, it should take me to slide 5.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Apr 30, 2019 Apr 30, 2019

You'll need an advanced action that takes the value entered in the text entry box (TEB) and jumps to the desired slide.

TEBs are associated automatically with variables that are assigned when you create the TEB. The advanced action is associated with the TEB and is triggered by clicking the SUBMIT button that appears automatically. Be careful, though: the command to go to a slide numbers all slides starting with zero, so you first have to subtract 1 from the number the user enters.

So, if your TEB

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll need an advanced action that takes the value entered in the text entry box (TEB) and jumps to the desired slide.

TEBs are associated automatically with variables that are assigned when you create the TEB. The advanced action is associated with the TEB and is triggered by clicking the SUBMIT button that appears automatically. Be careful, though: the command to go to a slide numbers all slides starting with zero, so you first have to subtract 1 from the number the user enters.

So, if your TEB variable is something like TEB_1 (or whatever you change it to when you create the TEB), the advanced action would read:

Decrement TEB_1 by 1

Assign cpCmndGotoSlide with TEB_1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2019 May 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks a lot!! I got it right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason for the decrementing described by Dan56 is that  cpInfoCurrntslide is the only 'counter' system variable for which the index starts at 1, not at 0. That wayit can be used directly on a slide to indicate the slide number. You can download a detailed table with all the system variables from this blog:

Discover/Use Captivate's System variables - Part 1 - Captivate blog

Aternative with one command is

Expression: cpCmndGotoSlide = TEB_1 - 1

This is for sure a correct answer, although you'll have to protect the learner for impossible entries like typos, no numbers, no spaces, a number bigger than the total amount of slides. All possible but annoying. 

There used to be a widget which allowed to build a popup list of slides to navigate to. This is still possible but you have to create it manually If this sounds interesting will offer some suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources