Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Massive software simulation problems in 2017 release

Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone!

I'm desperately trying to record a software simulation and again and again struggling with the same problem. The problem is, that not all mouse clicks are recognized. It doesn't seem to matter which software I'm trying to record - I've tried Outlook, Word, some custom software and file management on the desktop of my Windows 7 PC. The outcome should be a training simulation, so the problem can't just be fixed by adding in a couple manual screenshots as that doesn't create clickboxes, hints etc.

Some clicks are being recognized as such, and some are not. Interesting enough, it's always the same clicks that do and don't get recognized. E.g. in Word, clicking on the tab "Layout" or opening a dropdown is not recognized, while clicking "Ok" in a new window is. 

When trying to compensate the issue by manually adding in screenshots, then the following problem appears: the generated mouse movements don't at all align with the screen recording.

I'm really hoping to get some useful tips or hints to solve these problems.

Best Wishes

Christina

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you run Captivate as Administrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there!

No, I do not run Captivate as Administrator. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For software capture running CP as administrator is really required.

On Jun 29, 2017 12:56 PM, "ChristinaCaptivate" <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2017 Jul 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We tried that, and it really didn't make any difference. After a lot of experimenting we managed to make the simulation work properly with Mozilla Firefox (beforehand it also didn't work here accurately), by selecting all the available Modes (Demo, Training etc.). Suddenly all clicks were recognized, even those clicking on blank space. Which is really weird, to be honest. But it is still not working with other applications. In Microsoft Word there is still the same problem. Do you have any further suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you capturing an application that is web-based, not installed on your system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. I'm capturing a locally installed Microsoft Word application. Also tried Outlook and Photoshop CS6, with the same exact problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just came to realize, whenever the recording worked, I had the captured application located on my main screen, I am working with two monitors. Whenever it didn't, it was located on the second screen. That seems to be the solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, should have asked for that. You need to capture on the primary screen, never on a secondary screen. My bad!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh no, you couldn't have known that. I'm happy it's working now Thanks for your support!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2017 Jul 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. After reading this I restarted, running as Administator, also, my attached monitor is set to be the "Primary" screen. However, I still have the fielsds that should be text entry boxes playing as though they are a demo. The mouse clicks seem to work ok.

I am using an attached keyboard, not my laptop built in keyboard, could that be an issue? I hope not!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue and trying to capture a web-based software simulation. Captivate doesn't even pick up half the mouse clicks or dropdown menu actions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's quite common for web apps to be programmed in such a way that their screen events are not detected by Captivate when doing screen captures. You cannot rely on automatic capture to pick up everything at all times.  You need to keep one finger hovering over the manual capture key.

The only options are either to do manual captures whenever you notice Captivate didn't capture something essential, or else do Video Demo capture. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After switching the capture to my primary screen it worked like a charm. Interesting note, the program I am creating a simulation for is actually in a remote environment (VM Sphere) on another computer. I utilized a web-based meeting program and allowed access of my remote computer's mouse to be controlled by the computer Captivate is on. Everything worked well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources