Highlighted

More trouble with Samsung Tab E and CP2019

New Here ,
Mar 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have developed a compliance course using Captivate 2019. The course has been loaded to a Captivate verified LMS for playback on our Samsung Tab E tablets (OS Android 5.1.1) running Chrome browser (v.72.0.3626.121.) Our issue is that while running, the course just quits at different points in the playback and never in exactly the same place. The course is 17 minutes in length and may quit as many as five time. From a coding standpoint the course is very simple, so no exotic action scripting as I've check to be sure nothing has been built in that is creating this issue.

I've run the course, from the LMS, on both a wired in desktop and wifi laptop without any problems, so it's only on the tablet when the course quits and returns to the LMS page where you can click back into it. I've looked and other threads and even tried some suggested workarounds that apparently ongoing issues for Chrome 36; this included changing the noteOn and noteOff to start and stop. The stoppage can occur as soon as you enter a screen, or it may occur in the middle, and even after setting for a bit without touching anything. Thanks in advance if anyone can shed a bit of light on this issue as it will be most appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

More trouble with Samsung Tab E and CP2019

New Here ,
Mar 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have developed a compliance course using Captivate 2019. The course has been loaded to a Captivate verified LMS for playback on our Samsung Tab E tablets (OS Android 5.1.1) running Chrome browser (v.72.0.3626.121.) Our issue is that while running, the course just quits at different points in the playback and never in exactly the same place. The course is 17 minutes in length and may quit as many as five time. From a coding standpoint the course is very simple, so no exotic action scripting as I've check to be sure nothing has been built in that is creating this issue.

I've run the course, from the LMS, on both a wired in desktop and wifi laptop without any problems, so it's only on the tablet when the course quits and returns to the LMS page where you can click back into it. I've looked and other threads and even tried some suggested workarounds that apparently ongoing issues for Chrome 36; this included changing the noteOn and noteOff to start and stop. The stoppage can occur as soon as you enter a screen, or it may occur in the middle, and even after setting for a bit without touching anything. Thanks in advance if anyone can shed a bit of light on this issue as it will be most appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I should ask if anyone is delivering Captivate HTML5 content on a Samsung Tab E? If so, are you experiencing any issues with the course crashing within the LMS?

During our testing, the course crashed a total of 7 times the first time through. Thinking that maybe the tablet's memory could be an issue I re-compressed the audio from 4400 kHz 16 bit stereo to 3200 kHz 16 bit mono. The resulting smaller audio files were imported and replaced the larger audio file. The course still crashed 5 times.

Hopefully someone can chime in here. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Mar 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How big is the published course. Lot of people seem to ignore that the hardware of mobile devices is a lot less performant.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply Lilybiri.

The zipped SCO weighs in at 14MB and 19MB when unzipped. There are 61 screens in the course and the crashes occur every 7 to 10 screens. A crash can happen after playback, during playback, or ever after letting the course sit for a bit. Also, crashes do not always occur on the same screens.

Advanced Actions are pretty basic, but there is some JavaScript being called on every screen.

The issue is only when using the Tab E. The course is stable on a Tab 4 running Chrome 40.0.2214.109 and Android 4.4.4; SM-T337V Build/KTU84P

Again, your replay is most appreciated.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted an answer from the community but it is not appearing here.

Was speaking about my experience  with courses using a lot of advanced actions, when playing on a mobile device. I found that replacingt the advanced by shared actions whenever possible would speed up the result.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, thank you so very much  for your help. I will look into this theory and hopefully have something good to report. Appreciate your time and attention to this issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to look into downloading one of the many apps that can show you what is happening regarding RAM and CPU usage on a mobile device at the same time you are browsing content.  Really good apps allow you to see a readout over the top of the content so that you can tell what might be triggering the crash.

For example, mobile device OSs will crash any apps that seem to be hogging so much RAM that the OS itself cannot get enough resources to operate reliably.  The OS  will not allow the other apps to endanger its own operation, so it terminates them instead.

The only way you are going to know if this IS the issue is to be able to see what the resource usage is.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately replacing the Advanced Actions with Shared Actions didn't pan out. Next, I'll work on looking for apps that may help reveal the issue as Ron Ward suggests. Thank you all for the input so far.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too bad, was just a suggestion. Trying to keep the file size as low as possible, and indeed, testing where it is struggling time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can update Chrome to a current version, then that would be the first step. The next would be to enable crash reporting reporting under Settings > Privacy > Usage and crash reports. After that, re-open the training again and wait to see if it crashes. If it does, enter the following in the Chrome address bar: chrome://crashes

The log may give you more information into what's causing the crash or direct you towards something about the course that's not playing nice.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
Captivate User Guide
New Group