Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mouse Movement Increasingly Choppy as Project Progresses

Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2019 Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm working on a course that has three demos (full-screen Software Simulation slides).

When I preview and publish the course, everything looks great, mouse movement is smooth.

However, when it's uploaded to the LMS (Cornerstone), the mouse movement gets increasingly choppy/jerky as the course progresses:

In demo 1, mouse is smooth; demo 2, mouse is slightly choppy; and demo 3, mouse is super choppy. So strange!

This only started happening this week, but has affected multiple courses, not just the one.

Captivate version: 11.0.1.266

We publish SWF and HTML5.

Any guidance is much appreciated!!

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 20, 2019 Jun 20, 2019

First, upload the same SCORM object to SCORM Cloud and test it there to see if the same issue is evident.  If it is NOT, then the problem is your LMS or the web server it is running on, NOT the Captivate project.

If SCORM Cloud doesn't show the issue, go back to Cornerstone and LEAN on them bigtime to find out why their LMS is doing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, upload the same SCORM object to SCORM Cloud and test it there to see if the same issue is evident.  If it is NOT, then the problem is your LMS or the web server it is running on, NOT the Captivate project.

If SCORM Cloud doesn't show the issue, go back to Cornerstone and LEAN on them bigtime to find out why their LMS is doing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

You're right, it plays smoothly in the SCORM Cloud, so it has to do with Cornerstone. Thanks for your quick response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2019 Jun 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess would be that your LMS server is bogging down under the load.  Which probably means it is under-powered for the number of concurrent users you are throwing at it.

A couple of things you might try to reduce the load.  Try turning off Interaction Data in the Quiz settings and there's another option under Advanced that allows you to NOT send data on every slide.  That can reduce the load significantly.  If that doesn't work, try using the LMS template that only sends scoring data at the end of the quiz and not at every slide during the quiz.  That option is selected via a drop down on the Quiz Reporting screen.

But at the end of the day, these are somewhat cosmetic changes that should NOT be necessary if your LMS is up to the task.  Might be worth looking at a more powerful server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2019 Jun 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the additional guidance.

I just checked my settings - both Interaction Data and Sending Data on every slide were already turned off.

I'll try sending scoring data at the end of the quiz setting when I have a chance to work with our LMS admin and do some testing.

Do you think that unselecting Advanced Project Compression in the Project > Size and Quality tab would help? I do this sometimes when I have excessive ghost lines in my published file, but not always. I'm not even sure what it means.

Thank you in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2019 Jun 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That compression setting would only apply if you are using SWF output, not HTML5.  You mention that you publish to both, so you should probably also check which output is showing this issue.

You also mentioned above that you were still on the earlier Captivate 11.01 version and the problem just happened last week.  That sounds more like some changes to the LMS server have caused this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources