• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple Advanced Actions

Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an E-learning course that has multiple Flipcard advanced Actions.  I made a mistake an overwrote the existing Advanced FlipcardV3.  I've tried using the Advance action wtih the new name, but the effect isn't working.  

Is there a way to get the original advanced action back?  

Should I create a new Advanced Action from an existing one for every image that I want that effect?  

Not sure if I'm making things worse by trying to create new actions.

Idolproff_0-1592343947066.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

IDOLProff

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you did not save a backup of an earlier version of your CPTX then there is no way to get back that overwritten Advanced Action.  I always have backups turned on in Preferences, but that only gives you the state of your project as of the last time you saved and closed the CPTX.  If you want to have backups for each and every day, you need to open yesterday's file, and then do Save AS with a new filename.  I usually append today's date in reverse order like this: 2020-06-17.  This gives me a different file for each day I work on the CPTX.  After a week or two, if no serious issues have emerged, I just delete all files older than a given number of days.

If you have a lot of objects that need to be manipulated by a similar action, you are probably better off looking at using Shared Actions where the name of the object can be set as a parameter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe my suspicion is not correct, but are you talking about a slide from the Assets panel? Reason is the name you mentioned and the advanced action you show. I recognize that action because I will be using this as example in a presentation next week at the Adobe eLearning Wordl conference. I will convert it to a Shared action which would avoid the problems you are now facing.

If this is indeed the case, that action is correct but you probably do not point to the correct flipcards, or didn't create them as expected, or did not attach them to the correct event.

Hwever there is one big mistake: you do use the SAME name for the flipcard and for the action. Do not do that, please. Change at least one lower case character in the action to a capital one.

Confirm my suspicion and I'll explain how you can get back the original slide iwith those flipcards. I need to know the name of the Quick Start Project and the name of the used slide. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri,

Yes, this is from the Alliance Theme.  It's the same project that you helped me with on my previous case from 5/18/2020 (Advanced Actions) (https://community.adobe.com/t5/captivate/advanced-actions/m-p/11141037?page=1#M280683)

You said in your post "Hwever there is one big mistake: you do use the SAME name for the flipcard and for the action. Do not do that, please. Change at least one lower case character in the action to a capital one."  

Do you mean that anytime I use the Existing Action, I should change it to identify that action on that card?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate is very strict about names. You cannot use the same name for two different objects, actions, variables. In that advanced action screenshot I see that the name of the Action is the same as the name of the Flipcard. I know about some situations where this is possible, but always tell everyone NEVER to use the same name for two different items. But names are case sensitive. FlipCard1 can be a name, and Flipcard1 is another name. That is why I mentioned the change of lower case to capital.

That is another reason why Shared actions are much more flexible. You can attach the same advanced action to multiple Flipcards, but they will always point in that case to the same flipcard for the effect and the disabling. You need to create a duplicate action for each flipcard, because each of them will have another name. With shared actions that is much easier.  You apply the same shared action and just have to enter the used parameters... 

If you have time, please come to the presentation I told you about. You'll see live how to handle these flipcards, and even to extend the functionality. I provide example projects for free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to try to attend that conference. Unfortunately with this course, I only have until 20 June to get this course completed.  Is there a link that you can send me on how to configure shared actions?  These 2 flipcard slides are the last issue that I need to get working.  

You also mentioned that you'd send the info to restore the slides?  These are the Flipcards from the Alliance Theme.

Let me know what else you need.

Thanks,

IDOLProff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The action is OK. Here is the original one:

FlipAlliance.PNG

The name in the top which is the Action name is different from the name of the Flipcards. Each flipcard needs two states: the first state is the image and is the Normal state. The second state is labeled 'Active' and has explanation text.

You can duplicate this action as many times as you want, but each time you'll need another name for the action, and the Flipcard needs another name as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info.  ARe you referring to the name of the image (Flipcard_01v2_2)?  So based on what you sent me, here's what I've come up with.  Is this correct?

Idolproff_0-1592406912031.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Becoming desperate now. What you indicate as the Image name is the ACTIOIN Name. The Image name is mentioned in all three commands. The Image name is in the Properties panel of the image used as button. It also appears in the Timeline panel on its timeline. 

Do not try now to switch to Shared actions, has no sense. You first have to learn the real basics of advanced actions.

If you cannot update an action it means it is not completed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More frustrated than desparate. Below is the image name from the properties. To me it seemed logical to name the Action with part of image name as a way to easily identify it.  When I clicked "Update Action", I received a message "Script updated successfully".  However, when I clicked Usage, I recived "Item not currently in use"  Don't understand what I'm missing or what I didn't do.

Idolproff_0-1592408383882.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you had looked at my blogs about Advanced actions, you would know that I use a labeling system in a consistent way to make the links easier.

If you don't assign the action to the Success event of an Image used as button (flipcard) it is stil not in use. You can edit an advanced action which is already attributed to an event, but a new action needs to be assigned. That is what I meant by lacking basics of Advanced actions. You need real training, not just improvisation with the free help here on the forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately, in a small company, paying for "Real" training is not possibe.  So using the Forum, and the internet and a lot of trial and error is the way I have to learn this software. 

The flipcards are now working.  That was my problem, I didn' chang it in the Properties for the button.

Thanks for the help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I think I figured out what I was missing.  When I created the duplicate and saved it.  I wasn't changing it on the Actions in the property tab.  ID10T error!  See below:

Idolproff_0-1592408939315.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other question.  When I change the name of a duplicate to go along with the image name and I click update action, It doesn't Show the additional actions that I've created.  

Can you send me info to save it as a shared action?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources