Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple Attempts / Restarting Completed SCORM Courses in LMS

New Here ,
Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, all.

I am trying to find a way to give our learners an option to restart a course once they have completed it their first time. Our LMS does not have the capability to allow multiple attempts at online courses and I'm trying to figure out a workaround in the meantime. Our goal is to allow our learners an opportunity to revisit any course they have completed if they wish to revisit information later on in their training process. Right now, when a learner is done with the course, it shows that they have completed it in the LMS (which is perfect), but when they click on the course to access it again, they are stuck on the last page and cannot start fresh at the beginning. As far as quiz answers being saved when someone restarts the course, I don't have a preference.

From what I have researched and tried, this is what I've come across....

1. In the Project Settings I can choose to Loop Project. While I like this idea, learners shouldn't be taken back to the beginning of the course right away once they're done with the last slide. Only the next time they reopen the course in the LMS should they be able to start from the beginning. 

2. I have tried creating advanced actions on the last slide to send the learner back to the beginning upon re-entry. The most promising option in this method was to try to execute Javascript but the only script I got to function (which was top.window.close(); ) prompted the entire browser tab to close. This is problematic because if the learner follows this prompt, it does send reporting to the LMS on their quiz scores AND does not show that they completed the course. Maybe there's a better advanced action to use, and I'm open to other script alternatives. 

3. I know we can use a TOC and rewind button (in the skin) to allow learners to go back to the beginning of the course, and while we have been doing this, I was hoping we had a more seamless way to execute this process.

Ultimately, what I need to know is if there is a tried and true way to do this nicely with Captivate 2017, or if we are at the mercy of our LMS being capable of multiple attempts at courses.

Thank you,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand you correctly, this issue is that the last slide is the one that is bookmarked, not that your LMS doesn't allow someone to retake the course.

On enter of the lsat slide execute this JavaScript:

SCORM 1.2

SCORM_SetBookmark("slide_1");

SCORM 2004

SCORM2004_SetBookmark("slide_1");

There are different values that work, sometimes it writes the slide title if there is one, else it writes "slide_1"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the main issue is bookmarking (as Dave suggests) then resetting the bookmark should work.

However, you might also want to check whether having the learner reopen the module again in your LMS wipes out their previous completion and pass/fail score.  Some LMSs are not that great in this area.  I ask because you mention that your LMS isn't capable of allowing a user more than one attempt at the course (which sounds a bit weird but not out of the question).

You might also want to check into whether or not your LMS has the ability to allow the user to open the course in something called Review Mode (or similar) which means the learner can open the course and view the content but NOT be awarded any credit.  They can just browse the content.  If that's available, you might try using that as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for your help. I have confirmed that our LMS does not offer a second attempt at online courses, nor does it offer a Review Mode. The LMS will retain user completion information on online courses as well, which we find valuable. We don't want a learner to restart a course and have their completion status wiped out.

We are asking for a process improvement for multiple attempts (or Review mode), and in the meantime haven't decided if we want to go with a button on the last slide like Erik mentioned or change the bookmark to the first slide like TLCMediaDesign mentioned. Both are options that work in the LMS, so I think it comes down to what works best for us.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alternatively, couldn't you just put a button on the last slide that has its action set to 'Goto slide' and select slide 1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Erik,

I, too, am having the same issue.  I have multiple project files representing course modules as the preference was for a proficiency assessment for many of the modules.  At the end of each quiz, there is a 'Post Score' button which records the learner's (pass) score and continues to the final slide.  The final slide was, originally, providing advice of module completion and then exits.  Of course, there is a requirement for bookmarking and hence when the learner relaunches a module, it will open at the last slide.

Having read the comments on this top (here and the community topic titled 'Make Captivate Start from beginning in lms' (disallowed from adding the url; sorry)), I have included the ability for the learner to select 'exit' or 'view' the module again.  Great, that works.  However, when viewing the module again, they're required to answer the quiz questions again to get to the very end.  This doesn't alter the origianl score achieved but what I thought would occur is once they reached the quiz questions, they would basically display in 'review' mode.  I would be grateful for any assistance.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No the Captivate Review Mode does not work the way you were hoping.

Review mode is invoked from the Review Quiz button that only appears on the Quiz Result slide, and that is only if you have selected the quiz preferences option to Allow User to Review Quiz.

If the user clicks the button to Review Quiz, they no longer have any attempts allowed on the quiz during that same user session.  To reattempt the quiz the user would need to relaunch the module again. 

The Resume Data does record the last slide the learner reached in the module, and that's why your leanrers were taken to the final slide of the module when relaunching the lesson again. Resume Data is intended for situations where the learner is partway through a quiz and needs to close out of the browser and come back at a later time to continue where they left off. The Resume Data stored in the LMS at the point they abandon the attempt is then used to reconstruct their quiz question answers and states when they launch the same module again.  This is because they are in the middle of a quiz attempt and have not yet reached the end of the quiz.

However, each time the learner reaches and progresses past the Quiz Results slide so that their quiz results are sent to the LMS, then the LMS would not then require the Resume Data for the quiz questions. It would treat any new launch of the module as a new attempt.

The learner's original score is usually retained by the LMS (though there are some LMSs that have the nasty habit of wiping out the learner's score if they relaunch a completed module) but they only get that one opportunity to invoke Review Mode, and it only happens from the Quiz Results slide and only if there are already quiz questions answered in that same user session.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many thanks, Rod.  Appreciate your time and expertise.

I guess there would be JavaScript that could address what I'm trying to achieve but I'm certainly not familiar with js!  So I'm implementing a workaround; providing users with the ability to exit or revisit and navigating them back to the start of the module upon revisit.  I'm including a couple of messages to communicate the fact that they are not required to undertake the proficiency assessment again.  The Client is happy with that.

Thanks again, Rod.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources