Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple Clicks on Smart Shape as Button

Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2019 Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have been using Adobe Captivate 2019 (on Windows 10) for a few months now and have a question on how to do a specific piece of functionality.

I have one button in the middle of the slide and mulitple smart shapes (with text) around this button which I have set to show once the button is clicked.  So far so good.  What I would like to happen is the user repeatedly clicks on the same button in the middle and each time they do so, the next smart shape text appears.

I have tried to research the answer to this but it is quite a difficult one to explain.  I have tried playing around with the Advanced Actions but because it requires a different action each time the same button is clicked I'm at a bit of a loss!

Any help/advice gratefully receieved

TOPICS
Advanced actions , Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

You may have misunderstood.... there is a big difference between InBuilt states which exist for interactive objects, drag sources and drop targets, and added custom states. I didn't tell to add states to the button, but to have a separate object, shape, with a Normal state which is invisible. You add the command 'Go to Next State' to the button and indicate that multistate object. Whenever you click the button, the next state of the other object will be shown. Have a look at this recent post, wh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not use a multistate object insteead of multiple objects. At least if the action 'Go to Next State' will be sufficient to do what you want? That means that each click will show the next state, sequence is fixed.  In that case you need only a simple action.  If you want to do more with the button than showing the text (as I understood) the command also exists in the Advanced actions dialog box. Keep the normal state 'invisible', which can be done if you use a shape with Alpha and Stroke both set to 0. Add what you want to each subsequent state. 

You didn't specify if you want the already shown objects to remain visible or not... both are possible with a multistate object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

States and the ability to change them are a powerful feature. It is worth investigating.

My question would be whether or not you wish do do something else with these other smartshapes...?

Do they also have button functionality?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both for your replies.  I am now playing around with adding different states to the main button and whilst I can get them to appear in sequence I am struggling to see how the main button remains visible.  When I choose the action "Go to Next State", the original "click" smartshape button disappears.  I need this to remain visible so as the users can keep clicking on it in order to reveal each smartshape text.

In terms of the smartshape text, I don't need them to be buttons - just showing the text.  Each time the user clicks on the middle smartshape button, I want the next smartshape text to appear.  I hope that makes sense!  

I will keep playing around - thanks again for your help and if you can help me resolve this last point I would be very grateful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you build the additional states do not replace the shape that is there but rather, add another shape to the stage in a new position.

The final state would then have all the text boxes on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That makes sense - thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've figured it out!  Obvious when you think about it.  So I've just added the original smartshape to each state so it remains visible and active.  I hope this helps anyone else who is struggling with the same issue! Thanks again 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may have misunderstood.... there is a big difference between InBuilt states which exist for interactive objects, drag sources and drop targets, and added custom states. I didn't tell to add states to the button, but to have a separate object, shape, with a Normal state which is invisible. You add the command 'Go to Next State' to the button and indicate that multistate object. Whenever you click the button, the next state of the other object will be shown. Have a look at this recent post, where I used it on the second slide:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/sequence-check-slides-updated-version

It has an embedded output file where you see the result.

Of course, once you reach the last state, aother click will show the Normal, invisble state, again.

Another interesting post is this one:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/about-state-commands-and-a-progress-bar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is perfect!  Thank you.  Its now working and looks great.  I appreciate you taking the time to assist with this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your approach was not really a good one... for several reasons. The different custom states will replace the Normal state, but the other InBuilt states (Rollover, Down, eventually Visted) will reamin the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - yes I agree and can see why my original approach was not the best.  I'm still learning Captivate through helpful forums like this one so now I can add this functionality to my knowledge bank.  I did want the original button to retain the rollover and down states so this is perfect.

One last question (sorry!) I have a next button on my slide which I don't want to appear until the user has revealed all of the states.  I'm thinking this could be something to do with Advanced Actions but when I add in "show Next button" (after the command of "go to next state") it appears at the same time as the first state.  Is this something that can be done easily?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I have managed to do this (albeit it may not be the best way) I have made the Next button on the main page transparent and then added the image on to the final state which seems to work.  Thanks again for your help and assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You need indeed an advanced action, with two decisions. Steps:

1. Create a user variable v_counter, with a starting value of 0
  2. Create an advanced action:
    1. First decision is not conditional 'Always'
      1. Change to Next state
      2. Increment v_counter
    2. Second decision is conditional:
      1. IF v_counter is equal to ...           where you indicate the number of custom states
             Show Bt_Next

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources